PDA

View Full Version : Can't Get T-Mobile "Option" USB 3g to Connect

jamestech
July 2nd, 2009, 12:37 PM
I have Ubuntu NetBook Remix 9.04 x86 installed and a T-Mobile 3g dongle. After some research I found I needed "ozerocdoff". After installing this Ubuntu now recognises the dongle quite nicely.

The first time I plugged it in Ubuntu helped me set up the mobile broadband connection, and as far as I am aware the settings are all correct, however when I go to network manager to connect I almost immediately get "GSM Disconnected"

My dongle seems to have quite a few model numbers/markings...

"MB Stick 530"
"Option N.V."
"Qualcomm 3G CDMA"
"GI0431"
"NCMOGI0411"
"Bus 001 Device 014: ID 0af0:7501 Option"
"ZCOption HSUPA Modem"

I have also attached some logs I found which may help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

James

jamestech
July 3rd, 2009, 10:11 AM
OK, just a quick update, after further research I believe there may be a simple fix for someone with the know how, I have found the following logs which seem important...

Jul 3 10:02:02 ubuntu NetworkManager: <info> Activation (ttyHS2) starting connection 'T-Mobile'
Jul 3 10:02:02 ubuntu NetworkManager: <info> (ttyHS2): device state change: 3 -> 4
Jul 3 10:02:02 ubuntu NetworkManager: <info> Activation (ttyHS2) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) scheduled...
Jul 3 10:02:02 ubuntu NetworkManager: <info> Activation (ttyHS2) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) started...
Jul 3 10:02:02 ubuntu NetworkManager: <debug> [1246615322.406504] nm_serial_device_open(): (ttyHS2) opening device...
Jul 3 10:02:02 ubuntu NetworkManager: <info> Activation (ttyHS2) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) complete.
Jul 3 10:02:13 ubuntu NetworkManager: <WARN> init_done(): Modem initialization timed out
Jul 3 10:02:13 ubuntu NetworkManager: <info> (ttyHS2): device state change: 4 -> 9
Jul 3 10:02:13 ubuntu NetworkManager: <debug> [1246615333.001780] nm_serial_device_close(): Closing device 'ttyHS2'
Jul 3 10:02:13 ubuntu NetworkManager: <info> Marking connection 'T-Mobile' invalid.
Jul 3 10:02:13 ubuntu NetworkManager: <info> Activation (ttyHS2) failed.
Jul 3 10:02:13 ubuntu NetworkManager: <info> (ttyHS2): device state change: 9 -> 3
Jul 3 10:02:13 ubuntu NetworkManager: <info> (ttyHS2): deactivating device (reason: 0).
Jul 3 10:02:13 ubuntu NetworkManager: nm_system_device_flush_ip4_routes_with_iface: assertion `iface_idx >= 0' failed
Jul 3 10:02:13 ubuntu NetworkManager: nm_system_device_flush_ip4_addresses_with_iface: assertion `iface_idx >= 0' failed

I noticed the "Modem initialization timed out", are there some initialization commands I need to send to the modem before connecting?

computer13137
July 3rd, 2009, 03:51 PM
I find myself once again replying to a thread that isn't my area of expertise, to point out something I found on Google, lol.

This launchpad bug page has a very extensive discussion of this error... a few people are suggesting workarounds that have worked for them. You might try reading the whole thing, but I see no need to do that for you since this isn't my problem, and I don't have a T-Mobile Option to test with. :P

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/368325

-Kirk

Riverside
July 5th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I find myself once again replying to a thread that isn't my area of expertise, to point out something I found on Google, lol.

This launchpad bug page has a very extensive discussion of this error... a few people are suggesting workarounds that have worked for them. You might try reading the whole thing, but I see no need to do that for you since this isn't my problem, and I don't have a T-Mobile Option to test with. :P

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/368325
That's a different issue. The original poster in this thread isn't getting that far.

Riverside
July 5th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I have Ubuntu NetBook Remix 9.04 x86 installed and a T-Mobile 3g dongle. After some research I found I needed "ozerocdoff". After installing this Ubuntu now recognises the dongle quite nicely.

The first time I plugged it in Ubuntu helped me set up the mobile broadband connection, and as far as I am aware the settings are all correct, however when I go to network manager to connect I almost immediately get "GSM Disconnected"

My dongle seems to have quite a few model numbers/markings...

"MB Stick 530"
"Option N.V."
"Qualcomm 3G CDMA"
"GI0431"
"NCMOGI0411"
"Bus 001 Device 014: ID 0af0:7501 Option"
"ZCOption HSUPA Modem"

I have also attached some logs I found which may help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

JamesExactly my experience also (9.04) and I have spent all afternoon and evening on this today. The following should work:

http://www.pharscape.org/networkmanager-0.7.0-and-3g-wwan-modems.html

But doesn't.

Andrew_S
August 24th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Hi All,

Ive been struggling to get this to work in Ubuntu 9.04 or Xubuntu 9.04. I've got as far as it recognizing but selecting 'T-Mobile' from the list within NetworkManager Applet a notification appears stating:

GSM Network
Disconnected

Any advice with regards to debugging logs etc would be much appreciated as I'm rather n00b.

Kind Regards
Andrew

frankwakeman
September 4th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Although there are threads on this forum which sort this problem out, which I found by typing the dongle model number into Google, I found a simpler solution when I wanted to try Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu, and didn't know how to do the same tasks I'd carried out with Ubuntu.

If you still have a Windows partition or access to someone's Windows system, temporarily use the Windows T-mobile software built-in to the dongle which has what I can only imagine is a more effective means of switching off the CD-Rom aspect of the dongle.

As soon as I'd done this, I started up my Linux machine, plugged in, the dongle was detected, the T-mobile set up chosen and now I'm online. My first attempt to connect failed, but it was peak-time and that has sometimes happened anyway even with Vista.

msbc
September 10th, 2009, 11:04 AM
After installing the web'n'walk software in Windows how do you remove/disable the ZeroCD?

terry_gardener
October 3rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
i have sent the last few hours trying to get this 3g card to get and work properly in ubuntu 9.04 UNR.

i have managed to do it.

create a user group called dialout and add root and your username to it.
then follow the instructions on the following site.
http://www.betavine.net/bvportal/resources/datacards/os/ubuntu
then replace network manager with wicd.

run the vodafone mobile connect app.
it should find the 3g card and then click ok.
create a profile (i called mine tmobile) enter the apn details (ie, username: user, password: mms, APN: general.t-mobile.uk
when you have created the profile new window should appear click connect and at the button it will say connected to 3g.

now you have the internet.

pdc
October 3rd, 2009, 08:37 PM
well done terry to get the modem working;

I was interested you replaced network manager with wicd;

(I understand wicd will not run 3g modems, and will only run wifi: and so it is the vmc software that you are using to connect your 3G to the internet):

did you have advice that you needed to remove network manager?

terry_gardener
October 4th, 2009, 09:20 PM
pdc

yes i seen a thread somewhere that said to remove gnome network manager and replace it with wicd.

use wicd for ethernet and wifi and vmc for 3g mobile connections.

i did try it with gnome network manager but firefox kept starting in offline mode and pidgin wouldn't connect.

with VMC + WICD combo it works how it should.