PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from one more NooBee.

arti
January 21st, 2006, 09:58 AM
Hello to all. I am still optimistic about Linux in general even though I have not yet gotten any distro to work the way I want or to install completely & correctly... that includes Ubuntu 5.0.4 [Hoary Hedgehog ] & Debian 3.o r.4.
I see almost unlimited potential as to the good Linux will do for mankind not only now but in the long and very long run. I get excited when I read or talk about Linux. God Bless Linus.! & all his suporters.!
Just took a nod from the header when I signed in today about posting something to the group. So, here is my 1st effort.
A little bit about me. I have an electronics technical background and was heavy into telecommuncations both the switching and carrier arenas during my work life. I am now semi-retired. Semi .. . in the sense that I am still looking to increase my income cause 1. I would like more wampum to enjoy the time I now have, 2. feel I still have some value to contribute in the world & 3. miss the fun and challenges I enjoyed while working in the telecomm field.
EDP wise, I have 6-10 books on Linux & a couple on Unix. Although they are older machines, I now have 3 boxs tied together w/ a KVM machine & a 4th soon to be added. So I can readily switch from a Linux box to a W$ box [barff] or an experimental box or a friend's box that needs looking into.
I still use W$-98-2 for a super application [a PIM called "Info Select"] that I use to track most of the stuff in my life. Been building journals, todo list, etc. etc. since 1993 when I spent my last $100 to get my
first copy under [gasp.!] DOS. Fantastic prog.!!!!
I can not recommend it highly enough, if you want
something like a secretary on tap all the time. I also
get excited about what it can do and has done for me.
When I get a Linux disrto up & running, the next thing I will be doing is get "wine" running and see if that prog. will run under wine w/o problems. When & if that goal is reached, I can finally pull the plug on the W$ crap.
Well, 'nuff said for now. [ probably too much.?]
Good Luck to all in whatever Linux pond they swim.
Dwj 73 w 0 r m v .... LONG LIVE LINUX.!

heimo
January 21st, 2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks for your background story! :) Welcome to Ubuntuforums, hopefully we can help you iron out any problems you may have with setting up / configuring Ubuntu installation.

When I get a Linux disrto up & running, the next thing I will be doing is get "wine" running and see if that prog. will run under wine w/o problems. When & if that goal is reached, I can finally pull the plug on the W$ crap.

Did I understand correctly that this is a dos application? Wine is excellent and has improved over the years tremendously - if it can't run your program, try dosemu or dosbox*.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/breezy/otherosfs/dosemu
http://packages.ubuntu.com/breezy/otherosfs/dosbox

*) I haven't used these programs so I don't know the cababilities.