PDA

View Full Version : Which MP3 Player/ Ipod do You Use and Why?

Teabicky
July 2nd, 2009, 11:05 AM
Hi, I was just searching the internet for an relatively up to date list of compatible personal mp3 players for use with ubuntu (syncing, transferring files and the like). It seem that there is not a good up to date one, so I thought that I would try to start the ball rolling. Here goes:

(any links relating to this issue that folks find or know of please post here as well).

I use a Creative ZEN 32gb with ubuntu 9.04. It works well with Rhythmbox and Amarok although it does crash occasionally. This seems to be a problem with the players software and not ubuntu as it it crashes quite a lot with out any help from any external source.

It is supposed to work with banshee (a great player, in my opinion) but my experiences with the two together have not been good.

Also it doesn't support .ogg files and there is no os offered by rockbox....shame!

MartyBuntu
July 2nd, 2009, 11:58 AM
I use a Sansa E250.

I've never had a problem with my Sansa and Ubuntu and I use Rockbox on it exclusively.

enigmaniac23
July 2nd, 2009, 02:47 PM
Which one:
I have a 30G IPOD Video and I use Amarok 1.4 on Ubuntu 9.04. I have Rockbox on my Ipod and I use Rockbox exclusively, meaning, that my actual Ipod database is empty of music. All of my music is on the Ipod in a Music folder, organized like Amarok organizes it on my computer. I use an rsync script to keep all my cover art, music, playlists, etc synced between the computer and the ipod. The only problem I have right now is some videos don't play well on the ipod, but I'm guessing they just aren't in the right format/bitrate/etc. I haven't really looked into the video problem yet.

Why:
The Ipod was a gift. I use Amarok because I love it, and Rockbox because I love it, and it keeps me from worrying about whether or not ubuntu music players are compatible with the ipod database, since every time I used to use iTunes, it wanted to update and change the database.

tgalati4
July 2nd, 2009, 03:18 PM
Nokia n800. Runs linux.

Teabicky
July 3rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
........and I use Amarok 1.4 on Ubuntu 9.04.

I should have mentioned that I use amarok 1.4 as well. I couldn't get on with amarok 2.......any way, I digress........

jasonsjunk
July 4th, 2009, 02:31 AM
I have had good luck with my Sansa E280 running rockbox. I run Amarok as well.

handyguy
July 4th, 2009, 02:33 AM
I use and Archos 5 60gb its very capable and running a proprietery linux os and i just drag and drop. I usually use amarok because I love how it looks or exaile because of the awesome dynamic playlists.

zero777zero
July 4th, 2009, 03:13 AM
i use cowon, drag and drop with support for many formats

doorknob60
July 6th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Sansa e260 + Rockbox. I have NO problems with it whatsoever and I would get another one in a second if this one broke. Highly recommended (even without Rockbox it's not bad).

divinityofnumber
July 6th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I have an 80GB iPod classic, and it works amazingly well with Banshee.

init1
July 6th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I've got an Archos 5. It's great because it has a 250GB hard drive.

yasahiro
July 6th, 2009, 10:33 PM
i use a 1GB sandisk sansa. works perfectly with ubuntu 9.04, since it acts like a normal flash drive except it has buttons, display, and a headphone jack ^^

.Maleficus.
July 6th, 2009, 10:37 PM
My iPhone. I use it because it consolidates 2 very important devices and is great overall.

Muffinabus
July 6th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I have a 30GB Zune. Yeahp. Bought it before I was interested in Linux, however. I like it a lot though, despite the Microsoft branding and Windows restriction.

gn2
July 6th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I use my phone which is an LG KG290

dragos240
July 7th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Sansa fuze, it can run rockbox, and it's so fun, hopefully someday there will be a linux for it.

Gizenshya
July 7th, 2009, 12:56 AM
I use a 4GB Creative Zen. I have the same crashing problems as you, and the tech support is absolutely horrible (they CHARGE for it! take heed to this before you buy!). It crashes randomly, and the battery is built-in, so no hard resets :'(

There is a reset switch that works sometimes. It doesn't stay charges, because after being turned off, it randomly turns on. Sometimes minutes, sometimes many hours later. But it always does, and always drains the battery. This has taken a toll on the battery, and it only stays charged for a fraction of the time it used to. And it gets so low it takes minutes of charging just to get it to turn on.

I got it because on paper it is great. Supports many formats. Isn't as anal about playing with other programs as Ipods. Good price. Good quality screen. Supports SDHC expansion. Supports "external drive" mode (where it functions just like a thumb drive). I LOVE the thing when it works, but it just never did work right. It crashes far too often. I'm very disappointed with my purchase.

I also have my phone. It supports any significant audio format, and micro SD cards, so I like all that. The audio quality is only decent, though, and the media player on it sucks (only next track, and previous... and no folders. it makes a library of ALL songs, and that's it. I think it has random, though). It does support bluetooth playback, which is nice. Up to 30 feet (yes, I've tested it :p ).