PDA

View Full Version : Do you save your session?

tjoff
July 2nd, 2009, 08:35 AM
Ubuntu can save your current session and continue it after reboot.
This means that the applications that you had running will be reopened with the same settings as you had before.
If Ubuntu supported multiple saved sessions, would you use this functionality?

lovinglinux
July 2nd, 2009, 09:54 AM
Nope. I like to start fresh, clean and fast.

koleoptero
July 2nd, 2009, 02:04 PM

Looks like 95% of the ppl here think the same. :D

edantes
July 3rd, 2009, 02:16 AM

What about a save session feature that actually works?

FuturePilot
July 3rd, 2009, 02:56 AM
I usually never shut down my computer. Instead I suspend or hibernate it. Then there's no need for session saving ;)

treesurf
July 3rd, 2009, 03:01 AM
Doesn't Hibernate do the same thing?

tjoff
July 3rd, 2009, 08:18 AM
Doesn't Hibernate do the same thing?

Yes, that would effectively be the same as option number two.

It is interesting that what I thought to be a very useful feature to many, seems not to have much interest. But it answers some of my unanswered questions from this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1177176

My 'use case' for multiple sessions is the following:
I often use several minutes of each working day doing the exact same thing.
Launching applications, distributing them on workspaces, repositioning and resizing them exactly as I prefer it.
If i did the same thing all the time, i would use hibernate.
But sometimes I do programming, sometimes report writing, sometimes literature search, and each task requires a different set of applications, for which I have found my favourite workspace layout.

This is my reason for wanting to be able to define and save multiple sessions.
I started this poll to see if I am the only one who would do it, and so far I indeed seem to be.

Wiebelhaus
July 3rd, 2009, 08:26 AM
I have before , My work PC boots up with everything I need but I did that manually with a script , But I suppose I could effectively do the same thing with Sessions. I might try it when i get back to work , Remove the script and open everything I want , Firefox , Evolution , Last.fm , Bit defender , Drop Box , Virtual Box , Network Shares , Pidgin & IRC rooms , Terminal , Bluetooth , Calculator , Tomboy , Crossover , Bluefish , Iso Master , Miro and Nero.

Say does anyone know if it opens them on the desktops they were opened on?

That would be sweet! That's something I can't do with a script!

tjoff
July 3rd, 2009, 08:34 AM
That would be sweet! That's something I can't do with a script!

Exactly. I can easily make a script to start all my applications, but I have not managed to script the distribution into workspaces, the positioning and resizing yet. If I had, I would not bother about "sessions".

gjoellee
July 3rd, 2009, 09:38 AM
I don't see the point to have a slower startup, so I don't

Tipped OuT
July 3rd, 2009, 10:04 AM
I usually never shut down my computer. Instead I suspend or hibernate it. Then there's no need for session saving ;)

What about power saving? :lolflag: