PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I display a clear folder/panel area on desktop

charonred
July 2nd, 2009, 07:00 AM
I don't know the proper terminology for what I want here, so I'll try to explain it as best as possible - I have Hardy installed running Compiz and using Emerald; I have dual monitors displaying one large desktop, and have positioned Cairo-dock on one monitor.

I would like a clear desktop pane/panel/folder like in Kubuntu/KDE desktop that just sits on the desktop with shortcuts displayed in it to other files/folders - basically a clear area with just a frame around it, no buttons, menus, side panels, etc. - something that I can drop shortcuts to files/folders into, and move it complete from one desktop to another, or hide completely, and I also want it displayed when I boot the system.

Does such a thing exist; if so, what is it called, and how do I install/configure it.

airtonix
July 2nd, 2009, 07:07 AM
maybe you are talking about the module for screenlets called folderview (http://www.gtk-apps.org/content/show.php/Folderview+Screenlet?content=102890).

http://www.gtk-apps.org/CONTENT/content-pre2/102890-2.jpg

charonred
July 2nd, 2009, 07:25 AM
thanks, that looks like the sort of thing I'm after.

I installed via Screenlets Manager, but when I try to run it, I'm informed I need python-gobject >= 2.15 installing.

I have python-gobject 2.14.2 installed, and Synaptic only shows that for Hardy 8.04.2

really in unknown territory here :???:

neilevan814
July 2nd, 2009, 09:44 AM
Hello charonred,

Well, I was just searching a bit and it looks like 2.15 is only packaged for intrepid. You would probably have to upgrade a lot of other dependencies to make it all work in hardy. It is a pretty painless process to upgrade to intrepid if you wanted to try that. Nothing will change in your system as far as installed packages and configuration files. The synaptic update will just upgrade all that you have to fit with intrepid.

charonred
July 2nd, 2009, 10:45 AM
thanks, but I've been wanting to stay with Hardy on my PC cause of it's long term support to 2011; and as a relative Linux newby, I want to get use to one release while I'm learning the various howto's.

I migrated 4 friends from XP to Intrepid, but each had buggy networking, and printing, and had to dual boot with XP. Three were rectified by installing Jaunty, one has persevered with Intrepid and sorted the network issue, and I've another friend to migrate from XP to Jaunty next week after they get back from Melbourne.

So if I was to upgrade, I think Jaunty would be the go, but I'm still reluctant to leave Hardy just yet; I'd prefer to try and get things to work on my main PC which runs 12-14 hours/day before abandoning it for a 'newer' release.

Jaunty is tempting though, I'm impressed with its wlan/3G support as it runs my old 2003 IBM R40e 'Thinkpad' laptop brilliantly on an equally old Minitar PCMCIA (no ndiswrapper required), and networks faultlessly.

fabounet
July 2nd, 2009, 04:06 PM
what about the Shortcuts applet of Cairo-Dock ?
it can display the Nautilus Bookmarks, and you can add new ones by drag'n'drop.

charonred
July 2nd, 2009, 10:52 PM
na, I just want a clear box on desktop to place shortcuts of regular used docs etc; Cairo's good for apps etc, but I don't want to navigate a list for regular items (files/folders etc) - I just want to go to desktop area and click a visible link, and hide entire box when desired.