PDA

View Full Version : Linux breaks 1% for client usage

joebodo
July 2nd, 2009, 06:03 AM
Linux Breaks 1% on the Client

Linux usage share on client devices has surpassed 1% for the first time in our tracking. Linux has been successful primarily as a server operating system, but client usage share has not kept pace with server share Linux has reached this important milestone on the client as Linux-based systems have become more functional, easier to use, and pre-installed on computers from vendors like Dell.

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8&sample=35

swoll1980
July 2nd, 2009, 06:04 AM
Yesterday it lost over 30% of it's users. Today it's back over 1%. A couple days ago I saw a stat that had it at 5%.

Viva
July 2nd, 2009, 06:06 AM
1% is a lot, cinsidering linux isn;t pre installed like other Operating Systems. Hopefully now, we can push the hardware companies for better linux support.

papenpj
July 2nd, 2009, 06:09 AM
I think there are more people who use it but refuse to admit it.

ronaldprettyman
July 2nd, 2009, 06:10 AM

No body called me either ;-(

Twitch6000
July 2nd, 2009, 06:25 AM
Wait didn't just yesterday we have a thread saying it dropped 30%??

Lol this marketshare thing makes me laugh.

monsterstack
July 2nd, 2009, 06:31 AM
Net Applications' data gave Linux 0.61% of the market share for June, yesterday, down from 1.01% (or something) for May, which would be a 30% drop in users. And then as soon as people starting oohing and aahing about it they pulled the stats from their site. And today it's still under review. When I posted the thread yesterday, I predicted that the stats would be adjusted to some completely arbitrary 1% figure soon enough, and I stand by that prediction. These marketshare stats are almost completely useless.

paul_be
July 2nd, 2009, 06:38 AM
1% is a lot, cinsidering linux isn;t pre installed like other Operating Systems. Hopefully now, we can push the hardware companies for better linux support.

yeah netbooks were going good but m$ got in the pockets of the manufs. like asus now markets as 'better with windows':(

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3822996/Asus-Eee-and-the-Its-Better-with-Windows-Campaign.htm

prshah
July 2nd, 2009, 06:44 AM
Yesterday it lost over 30% of it's users. Today it's back over 1%. A couple days ago I saw a stat that had it at 5%.

Proves what people say about the increasing magnitude of untruth: Lies, Damned lies and Statistics.

monsterstack
July 2nd, 2009, 06:46 AM
Proves what people say about the increasing magnitude of untruth: Lies, Damned lies and Statistics.

45% of people wouldn't agree, but then six out of ten people explode on contact with Arch.

Yeah that's right, I just Godwin'd this thread.

lethalfang
July 2nd, 2009, 07:00 AM

Linux users tend to be proud in declaring that they use Linux.

monsterstack
July 2nd, 2009, 07:04 AM
Linux users tend to be proud in declaring that they use Linux.

Yeah, but I have three computers, running a total of six different Linux installations. I don't own anything with Windows on it, and I haven't done for more than two years. And yet all three of those computers I have came with a Windows Licence. And as far as Microsoft is concerned, that's three more Windows users.

PurposeOfReason
July 2nd, 2009, 07:05 AM
Some of you need to take 8th grade math again. Yesterday it lost 30% of it's users, not the market. So if it had 5%, it'd go down to 3.5% and still be over 1%.

Learn to math. Even though all this market stuff is not accurate at all.

papenpj
July 2nd, 2009, 07:12 AM
I love statistics. my freshman year of college they had a poster about drinking. 98% of students don't drink on a DAILY basis, lol which is true but I would have loved to see the stats for thurs to sat, would have been alot higher. then another basically said 1 out of 3 people DID drink to the point they regretted something they did. and a bunch of other hilarious observations that happened when you actually analyzed all the positive things they were trying to mention

papenpj
July 2nd, 2009, 07:15 AM
OK we can beat M$ all we need to do is start tri and quad booting. That way the standard windows license that likely came with the computer disappears. I also like the market share numbers I hard from a Computer Service store statng that MACs are only two percent of the market.... If it wasn't an interview I would have said, no they two percent of your business Im sure the market is larger because 95% of your customers know nothing about a comptuer which is why they pay you $100 to remove spyware and viruses quarterly if not monthly.

tom66
July 2nd, 2009, 08:12 AM
I'm taking Stats for a GCSE grade. It is true that given enough graphs statistics can prove anything. And at least 70% of statistics are made up, including this one.

MaxIBoy
July 2nd, 2009, 08:41 AM
45% of people wouldn't agree, but then six out of ten people explode on contact with Arch.

Yeah that's right, I just Godwin'd this thread.
96% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

benj1
July 2nd, 2009, 08:47 AM
yay, linux market share up 60%, in a day, 100% market share in a fortnight :p

JohnFH
July 2nd, 2009, 10:51 AM
Yeah, but I have three computers, running a total of six different Linux installations. I don't own anything with Windows on it, and I haven't done for more than two years. And yet all three of those computers I have came with a Windows Licence. And as far as Microsoft is concerned, that's three more Windows users.

Except that's completely irrelevant as the marketing statistics are not based on MS licenses at all, but on web surfing statistics (ie. counts are taken of the OS/browsers detected as people browse certain sites). It's not quite as arbitrary or meaningless as people think.

Some of you need to take 8th grade math again. Yesterday it lost 30% of it's users, not the market. So if it had 5%, it'd go down to 3.5% and still be over 1%.

Learn to math. Even though all this market stuff is not accurate at all.
Why are you on about users vs markets? What's your point? We know the difference. It didn't have 5% market share to begin with, it had just under 1% and then the report came out that there was a 30% drop, ie. to somewhere in the region of 0.6% - 0.7%. Today's news is that it's jumped to over 1% again. Some people need to take English lessons to learn how to read again.

Eisenwinter
July 2nd, 2009, 11:11 AM
Why does this even matter to you? Wow, supposedly a 30% drop in marketshare, wow, supposedly it's back to 1% overall. Why do you care? It shouldn't matter.

benj1
July 2nd, 2009, 11:24 AM
why does this even matter to you? Wow, supposedly a 30% drop in marketshare, wow, supposedly it's back to 1% overall. Why do you care? It shouldn't matter.

+1

Fatal Toenail Infection
July 2nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
I'm guessing none of these market share statistics are even close to accurate...how could they possibly account for all of the linux users? Certainly not by downloads, because I've downloaded dozens of different versions of Ubuntu and other distros.

Arup
July 2nd, 2009, 01:37 PM
Even if its 0% I aint' gonna use Winbloze or Mac n Cheese. Neither would those I have converted to Linux.

JohnFH
July 2nd, 2009, 01:54 PM
I'm guessing none of these market share statistics are even close to accurate...how could they possibly account for all of the linux users? Certainly not by downloads, because I've downloaded dozens of different versions of Ubuntu and other distros.

For the umpteenth time, it's not calculated by distro downloads, it's calculated by looking at what OS/browser people use when browsing the web.

PurposeOfReason
July 2nd, 2009, 08:20 PM
Why are you on about users vs markets? What's your point? We know the difference. It didn't have 5% market share to begin with, it had just under 1% and then the report came out that there was a 30% drop, ie. to somewhere in the region of 0.6% - 0.7%. Today's news is that it's jumped to over 1% again. Some people need to take English lessons to learn how to read again.
If everyone knew the difference between users and markets, this thread wouldn't have happened. :roll:

nmccrina
July 2nd, 2009, 08:42 PM
For the umpteenth time, it's not calculated by distro downloads, it's calculated by looking at what OS/browser people use when browsing the web.

It's common knowledge that web browser versions can't be relied on. For example, my firefox showed up as 'Netscape' using the JavaScript Navigator object, and I didn't even tweak anything. I would think there would be similar difficulties detecting operating systems. Maybe there are more sophisticated methods of detecting these things than I'm aware of?

It doesn't really matter to me, though. Heck, I couldn't use Windows if I wanted to, I'm a poor college student and don't have $300 lying around :p