PDA

View Full Version : LAN not supported in Starcraft 2

JDShu
July 2nd, 2009, 05:29 AM
You know, one of the few reasons I still have vista on my dual boot was to play SC2 when it came out. Now, I don't even think I'll get the game. This really pisses me off.

brian183
July 2nd, 2009, 06:36 AM
WHAT!?

No LAN parties with SC2? That's disappointing because I have very fond memories of SC/broodwar LAN parties with a few other people in HS. Even now I have that on my thinkpad t42p under wine just in case the occasion arises.

Not to mention those great times on LAN play with only yourself and a few other comps and all you do is build up a massive armada and slaughter the masses. How times have changed ....

nw2001
July 2nd, 2009, 06:47 AM
Woo, You can still play on battle net. I see no real reason to be worried about this.... unless that is you intended to pirate it.

PurposeOfReason
July 2nd, 2009, 07:09 AM
Source:
http://www.techpowerup.com/98155/New_Star_Craft_2_Details_Emerge.html

If you read you'll see lan in possible, you'll just have to use battlenet which can slow things down. I'm not worried, with how big the SC community is, they'll get around it fast. I mean, I carry SC1 on my flash drive.

CharmyBee
July 2nd, 2009, 11:24 AM
Well there goes 86% of online SC players, if you know what I mean.

KIAaze
July 2nd, 2009, 11:39 AM
WHAT?!?!?!?! :shock::shock::shock::shock:
This strongly reduces the probability of me even buying the game.
I'm already considering it as the only Windows game I'll buy from now on. So that would mean I'll never buy a Windows game again. :P

If you read you'll see lan in possible, you'll just have to use battlenet which can slow things down. I'm not worried, with how big the SC community is, they'll get around it fast. I mean, I carry SC1 on my flash drive.
It means you MUST have an internet connection.
Just like steam.

I strongly hope I won't need an internet connection to play solo...

SupaSonic
July 2nd, 2009, 11:44 AM
The sad thing is that even this "feature" is unlikely to prevent pirates from cracking the game. So only the users who actually buy it will suffer.

betrunkenaffe
July 2nd, 2009, 11:50 AM
Confirmed, pirates will be unaffected once this feature has been cracked.

This really is just another reason not to buy it, sad.

KIAaze
July 2nd, 2009, 11:57 AM
Found this interesting info about SC piracy in China: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=96603

CharmyBee
July 2nd, 2009, 02:08 PM
The sad thing is that even this "feature" is unlikely to prevent pirates from cracking the game. So only the users who actually buy it will suffer.

It's not about cracking, it's about cutting off the VPN route to getting around legitimate-copy-only Battle.net play.

khelben1979
July 2nd, 2009, 02:22 PM
If I feel that my hardware from my PC is sufficient to run the game, I will buy it. I have been looking forward to this game. My current hardware will probably not give it a good experience, but at this point I still don't know.

If LAN play won't get supported, it's a big dissipointment indeed :(. It wouldn't surprise me if someone makes some hack so that this will be possible anyway.

LowSky
July 2nd, 2009, 03:26 PM
Woo, You can still play on battle net. I see no real reason to be worried about this.... unless that is you intended to pirate it.

That isn't the issue... being able to create a LAN allows a group of people to play owithout worring about ping or latency as everyone is directly connected. Battle.net wants to corral players, using stats and such to intice people to play online, nd maybe play for additional features. Its getting worse and worse every year for PC gaming and Activision is one of those companies killing it. Blizzard by itself would never had done this

Firestem4
July 2nd, 2009, 05:26 PM
This doesn't really bother me...I never played LAN anyways. I do everything over the net. So long as the single-player doesn't require internet im good. (I refuse to buy a game with that restriction..case-in-point)

donkyhotay
July 2nd, 2009, 06:09 PM
I don't play SC very often with LAN anymore (mostly on B.net) but I still do get together with friends from time to time for LAN parties. I wasn't planning on buying SC2 because there is no native linux client and you have to buy the 3 different copies to get the full story of the campaign, but lack of LAN support just helps confirm that I won't be buying it.

slickflick
July 2nd, 2009, 07:13 PM
oh well, no need for hamachi for this then,

ericab
July 2nd, 2009, 07:39 PM
i wont be buying this now...
diablo 3 on the other hand....nothings going to stop me

PurposeOfReason
July 2nd, 2009, 08:21 PM
WHAT?!?!?!?! :shock::shock::shock::shock:
This strongly reduces the probability of me even buying the game.
I'm already considering it as the only Windows game I'll buy from now on. So that would mean I'll never buy a Windows game again. :P

It means you MUST have an internet connection.
Just like steam.

I strongly hope I won't need an internet connection to play solo...
What kind of LAN are you going to that doesn't have an internet connection?

nw2001
July 2nd, 2009, 09:09 PM
...Unless you are playing an FPS I dont see how lag is really going to affect any lan game you play, I cant say (Unless there was some MASSIVE lag spike) that a lag spike has ever affected the out come of an RTS for me, even SC1. All this whining over this is just lulz.

yabbadabbadont
July 3rd, 2009, 01:42 AM
What kind of LAN are you going to that doesn't have an internet connection?

How about an eight port hub? That's how we used to do it. No outside connections needed.

JDShu
July 3rd, 2009, 04:01 AM
...Unless you are playing an FPS I dont see how lag is really going to affect any lan game you play, I cant say (Unless there was some MASSIVE lag spike) that a lag spike has ever affected the out come of an RTS for me, even SC1. All this whining over this is just lulz.

Starcraft gaming has become high enough level that latency does in fact matter. Sounds like you don't play much Starcraft, so I dunno if you'll get this, but try microing marines against lurkers or mutalisk harassing in Starcraft with lag. Check out what the koreans do, theres alot of videos on youtube.

Gizenshya
July 3rd, 2009, 04:26 AM
well, I'm definitely not buying it, then. I need my LAN. that is what made starcraft and TA big.

I set up a LAN just a couple weeks ago to play starcraft :) many good memories. never played on battlenet. But I'm sure as hell not about to connect to some remote server to play on a LAN.

There are some games now that make it difficult to play the game without the internet or the CD in the tray. There are always fixes for these problems, but it is an annoyance to google for the 5 mins it takes to find the fix that should be included in the game itself.

Three parts to one game? Not a chance. A sequel... maybe. But not purposefully-withheld parts of the original game just to milk me. I will NOT be milked.

The gaming industry is in a sad state of affairs. The people who steal games have the best experiences. And then the gaming industry has the nerve to blame the downloaders? Slapping paying customers in the face is NOT good for business. Period. Blaming others for your own ignorance is pissing in the wind. The downloaders will always be there. And when you force even your paying customers to have to hack and crack to get the game to the most basic level of functioning...??

/gaming industry

:(

Gizenshya
July 3rd, 2009, 04:49 AM
http://img.techpowerup.org/090630/Starcraft2%20-%20Dissapoint.png

that in the comments on the site

starcraft.man
July 3rd, 2009, 04:54 AM
*starcraft.man's pet zergling shed's single tear and dies of sadness*

I'll still get it likely. Frankly, Blizzard hasn't been the same since they sold to Activision...

arcdrag
July 3rd, 2009, 05:05 AM

Yes you can...but Starcraft is one of the premier lan party games. Thus, if you do attempt to play SC2 with several other people, you have several people sharing the bandwidth of one connection rather than simply being connected to one another.

Honestly, Command and Conquer: Generals, Quake 3, and Starcraft lan parties ate up every free second I had in Iraq, and once I got a few people interested in the idea it made the rest of my 16 month tour a hell of a lot smoother. We didn't even have internet access where we were at most of the time...but my platoon damn sure had some fun with multiplayer gaming anyway.

arcdrag
July 3rd, 2009, 05:10 AM
How about an eight port hub? That's how we used to do it. No outside connections needed.

We just set up ad hoc networks. No router, no internet connection, no wires...just a bunch of people with laptops all connected to the one guy that had a decent wireless card. Works well for up to around 10 players. After that you need some sort of router.

donkyhotay
July 4th, 2009, 06:22 PM
The gaming industry is in a sad state of affairs. The people who steal games have the best experiences. And then the gaming industry has the nerve to blame the downloaders? Slapping paying customers in the face is NOT good for business. Period. Blaming others for your own ignorance is pissing in the wind. The downloaders will always be there. And when you force even your paying customers to have to hack and crack to get the game to the most basic level of functioning...??

/gaming industry

:(

Very true, this webcomic (http://www.penguinpetes.com/Doomed_to_Obscurity/index.php?strip=0000032.jpg) sums it up quite nicely.

CharmyBee
July 4th, 2009, 07:12 PM
You know, this is no different than what Valve did with Half-Life 2's multiplayer with the requirement of being logged into Steam to play... the phase of whiners will dissipate soon enough.

medic2000
July 5th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Shame for Blizzard. Now SC2 has no meaning...

markyb86
July 6th, 2009, 02:28 AM
We still have people who play on our lan with 333mhz boxes. Lan is very important there...

donkyhotay
July 6th, 2009, 07:58 PM
You know, this is no different than what Valve did with Half-Life 2's multiplayer with the requirement of being logged into Steam to play... the phase of whiners will dissipate soon enough.

Before moving over to linux I used to play a half-life mod called 'natural selection' (it's similar to tremulous) all the time. I still remember the day steam came out and they updated the servers so that you could only play it through steam (the good servers at least). Even though I never played the game LAN I hated the concept of logging into a service to just play a game online. I may have played it once or twice afterwards but I essentially stopped playing half-life from that point forward.

subdivision
July 6th, 2009, 08:28 PM

So you're fine with not being able to play with your friends if battlenet goes down? If your internet connection goes down? If their internet connection goes down?

PurposeOfReason
July 6th, 2009, 08:35 PM
So you're fine with not being able to play with your friends if battlenet goes down? If your internet connection goes down? If their internet connection goes down?
I'm very fine. I play TF2 all the time and that requires me to use steam. I see little difference.

markyb86
July 6th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Internet-required games are crap. Say goodbye to LAN parties unless each player has their own dedicated line.