View Full Version : [ubuntu] No Wireless Devices Working

July 2nd, 2009, 03:19 AM
I'm having and insanely hard time getting internet to work with my ubuntu installation. Right now i'm dual booting with xp because no other installation method would work except for installing though windows :( and I've tried 3 different wireless devices (all tested in windows and working) and none of them work in ubuntu. I've been working on this for nearly 7 hours and i'm getting nowhere.

First one i tired is an encore usb wireless model enuwi-g2
It connects to my router and works but i never get speeds faster than a few bytes a second. It also drops the connection after 2 seconds and takes nearly 5 min to reconnect.

Second one is a netgear wg311 v3 pci wireless adapter. it doesn't even show up. I tried to install the windows drivers with ndiswrapper but it still doesn't show up.

Third one is a Buffalo WLI2-PCI-G54S Wireless PCI Adapter. I tried to install the windows drivers with ndiswrapper and this was the result-

__________________________________________________ _

admin@ubuntu:~$ ndiswrapper -l

WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.
netg54s : driver installed
device (14E4:4318) present (alternate driver: ssb)
__________________________________________________ __

I don't know what the warning is about, but that seemed to be a good result. It still didn't show up or work though. The card shows up in network devices but wont work at all. It wont even find my router.

Maybe there's an error with ndiswrapper working on startup.... this is the file.

admin@ubuntu:~$ gksu gedit /etc/modules

/etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.#

# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

__________________________________________________ ____

I really have no idea what I'm doing wrong or why none of these divices work, but it's really annoying. I'm begining to think almost no wireless devices work with ubuntu.

I'm trying to avoid climbing into my attic to run an ethernet cable across my house from my router....

Any help would be great.

July 2nd, 2009, 03:35 AM
Try the Ubuntu Wireless Troubleshooting Guide (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessTroubleShootingGuide) and visit the ndiswrapper section.