PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Slow updates kill linux for me..

PheelingSublime
July 2nd, 2009, 02:45 AM
Well..Im new to ubuntu but as far as i can tell its always behind on updates.i had to update pidgin on my own and transmission,Now firefox isnt updated to 3.5.i guess i should wait a week or when ever it will be done.Now i know why ubuntu is free..I read all the post on how to do it myself,But im lazy and even if windows is suppose to suck ,at least its easy to update for dumb people like me..Good luck linux..

Erik765
July 2nd, 2009, 02:55 AM
? So, what you're saying is that Windows is automatically going to update Firefox for you?

I'm confused.

The nice thing about modern distros is that any software you have installed from the repositories notifies you upon available updates.

Oh well. I don't know about you, but I'd rather deal with stability and my software being updated than Viruses-Intrusions-Spyware-Trojans-Adware. Aka, Vista.

Personal preference I guess.

Geoff918
July 2nd, 2009, 02:57 AM
Linux is not slow to update. Different distros have different upgrade cycles, etc. I happen to like fast upgrade cycles myself, but I also don't want my computer locking up and crashing all the time with the latest bleeding edge (just the lastest stable release). Anyway, Ubuntu is really very stable, and software upgrades are a bit slower than on other distros as far as I can tell. I use openSUSE a bit, it was my main distro for several months and upgrades to software are fast and readily available. Of course, I sometimes had other issues like my web cam suddenly not working as a result of an upgraded package set somewhere. So, there are advantages and pitfalls. I personally have bit the bullet with Ubuntu now and right after the 6-month upgrade you'll always have really up to date software. Of course, it will become stale, e.g. Firefox 3.5 right now. There are other veins with which to upgrade faster via testing and back ports, etc. I've decided I'm happy with the stability and the upgrades WILL come. You can always compile from source with most software, as well.