PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu failing to Install

HerroRygar
July 2nd, 2009, 12:07 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to install 9.04 from a cd. I verified the hash of the ISO file, I burned the cd, and verified the contents of the cd using the boot menu. In fact, I USED to be able to boot into Ubuntu and, had I wanted to, select the install option from there.

...but I JUST today put in a new, bigger harddrive...and partitioned it, placing the Windows 7 release candidate in the first partition. Now, when I try to either install Ubuntu or boot without installing, I get the Ubuntu loading screen...which completely freezes after a few seconds. I can verify the files on the cd all I want, but it just won't load. Any thoughts? Is there some reason why the Windows kernel would be interfering, or perhaps the way I've partitioned this drive?

redorchestra
July 2nd, 2009, 01:05 AM
I am having the same problem.
I am cobbling together a new/old machine.
I put my two old drives on a new motherboard.
I thought my dualboot would power up the same as usual.
I didn't realize that OSs were processor dependant ;p.
Anyway to make a long story shorter.
I have all my drives recognised. I used the live cd to install 9.04 running with xp service pack 2.
I upgraded to service pack 3, and now ubuntu won't load.
I tried a reinstall but I get to pick the language, try to install and I get the cylon scanner for about 2 minutes. then a blank screen, then a list of errors about usbs and bad logic sectors.

From windows I can acess the livedisk, and I installed inside windows. This seems to work pretty well.

Can you install inside windows?
Does that slow down Ubuntu?
It seems to me that it just eliminates the Grub loader.

raymondh
July 2nd, 2009, 01:31 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to install 9.04 from a cd. I verified the hash of the ISO file, I burned the cd, and verified the contents of the cd using the boot menu. In fact, I USED to be able to boot into Ubuntu and, had I wanted to, select the install option from there.

...but I JUST today put in a new, bigger harddrive...and partitioned it, placing the Windows 7 release candidate in the first partition. Now, when I try to either install Ubuntu or boot without installing, I get the Ubuntu loading screen...which completely freezes after a few seconds. I can verify the files on the cd all I want, but it just won't load. Any thoughts? Is there some reason why the Windows kernel would be interfering, or perhaps the way I've partitioned this drive?

I have an older machine/BIOS (vintage '98) which I installed a newer, bigger HD. I had problems installing. I learned that on older BIOS', there is a cylinder limit and that I needed to install Ubuntu within the first 8GB of the drive.

I see no reason why windows would interfere. I have win7 dual-booted as well.

How did you partition? Also, can you share your system specs?