PDA

View Full Version : How much do you think this kind of advertising cost

wsonar
July 1st, 2009, 09:55 PM
This is on every major manufactures web site and you cannot get the pc without windows on it

Acer recommends Windows Vista® Business for Business Computing
Acer recommends Windows Vista® Home Premium for Personal Computing

If you want a genuine linux laptop and don't want to pay a microsoft license it actually cost more and you get less hardware from companies like system76

this is just frustrating

to have to pay more for open source

Gizenshya
July 1st, 2009, 10:17 PM
where are you?

Every computer retailer I know of in the US (Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway, etc., etc.) will all take off windows. It usually saves about $85 off the cost. I don't know about Vista, though, as I haven't called one since it came out in force.

And... are you implying that they change the hardware if they take off windows? I've never seen an example of this. Now, I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that I've never seen or heard of a company doing such things before just now.

Sealbhach
July 1st, 2009, 11:56 PM
I think it's great that all of the world's major PC manufacturers are unanimous in their choice of operating system. It really is amazing and a testament to the Windows Vista team.

cariboo
July 2nd, 2009, 01:11 AM
This should actually go in recurring discussions. The reason a computer cost more with Windows removed, is that the manufacturer gets paid for putting all the crapware on the system. Manufacturers don't install crapware for free, someone has to pay for it, and it usually is the maker of the crapware.

jrusso2
July 2nd, 2009, 01:27 AM
When you see a site that says they recommend Windows Vista on their advertising they actually get a Vista discount price for doing that.

doorknob60
July 2nd, 2009, 04:13 AM
Every computer retailer I know of in the US (Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway, etc., etc.) will all take off windows. It usually saves about $85 off the cost. I don't know about Vista, though, as I haven't called one since it came out in force.

I have to say I've NEVER seen an option for that (aside from Dell's small collection of Ubuntu computers), at least not on their sites.

papenpj
July 2nd, 2009, 06:21 AM
From my understanding it is extremely possible, but you have to phone your order in, because they usually don't make it easy to do online. unless you happen to be looking at server hardware that usually comes no OS at all.

bitf
July 2nd, 2009, 06:41 AM
If you want a genuine linux laptop and don't want to pay a microsoft license it actually cost more and you get less hardware from companies like system76

this is just frustrating

to have to pay more for open source

As opposed to pirated Linux?

If you compare head to head, system76 is similar in price to many mass produced computers with the same specs.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1109282&highlight=cost

papenpj
July 2nd, 2009, 07:04 AM
As opposed to pirated Linux?

Thats IT, the new marketing campaign... we sell pirated copies of ubuntu to people for a couple bucks claiming a huge savings so they think they are getting a deal by "screwing the evil open source developers", that should bring plenty of people to the "dark side"

privatejarhead
July 2nd, 2009, 06:53 PM
Thats IT, the new marketing campaign... we sell pirated copies of ubuntu to people for a couple bucks claiming a huge savings so they think they are getting a deal by "screwing the evil open source developers", that should bring plenty of people to the "dark side"

how exactly is it possible to pirate a free software? lol i cant wrap my mind around that >.<

Blacklightbulb
July 2nd, 2009, 08:45 PM
how exactly is it possible to pirate a free software? lol i cant wrap my mind around that >.<

Download them on a blank CD without a cover in a blank case and write Linux with a felt pen on the case. Go to the local market and display them with a 2 buck price. Wearing a hood helps!:lolflag:
People are stupid.
They are more motivated to buy the software then to get it free since:
1. They think they are getting a great deal since they think Ubuntu costs like any other commercial OS.
2. They are happy knowing that they the COOL guys are screwing the rebels, the opensource developers.
3. Most relate the price to quality. Look at Redhat. I know it pretty good but is it better than Fedora (free alternative which is a test OS for Redhat itself).

Anyways..you've probably got the idea that already

privatejarhead
July 29th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Download them on a blank CD without a cover in a blank case and write Linux with a felt pen on the case. Go to the local market and display them with a 2 buck price. Wearing a hood helps!:lolflag:
People are stupid.
They are more motivated to buy the software then to get it free since:
1. They think they are getting a great deal since they think Ubuntu costs like any other commercial OS.
2. They are happy knowing that they the COOL guys are screwing the rebels, the opensource developers.
3. Most relate the price to quality. Look at Redhat. I know it pretty good but is it better than Fedora (free alternative which is a test OS for Redhat itself).

Anyways..you've probably got the idea that already

o.O that sounds like a great way to make some cash over the summer \\:D/.

"will work for hardware"

Grenage
July 29th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Or you can build a computer yourself; which, for the same money as a ready-built machine will be twice as powerful. It's so easy to throw parts together, it takes 5 minutes!