PDA

View Full Version : PEN for Linux?

borisattva
January 21st, 2006, 06:35 AM
one of the applications that ive been missing after sacking my windows partition is PEN (Pennock Email Notifier (http://www.pennock.nl/pen/))
i have multiple accounts of different protocols (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, aim, other pops) and PEn handled them neatly and superbly.

unfortunately inquiry to the author if he would make a port to linux went completely ignored.

is there such a beast for linux already? if so, i seem to have trouble finding it.

audax321
January 21st, 2006, 07:16 AM
Doing a Google search for "Linux mail notification" brought up some links.

Here some of them from the first page:

Mail Notification 2.0:
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Communications/Email/Mail-Notification-3483.shtml
I think this is the author's official page (w/screenshots): http://www.nongnu.org/mailnotify/

A whole bunch of mail notifier programs:
http://www.linuxlinks.com/Software/Internet/Mail/Notification/index.shtml

briancurtin
January 21st, 2006, 07:19 AM
there is one called "mail notification" in the repositories. search for it in synaptic

audax321
January 21st, 2006, 07:28 AM
there is one called "mail notification" in the repositories. search for it in synaptic

Yup, its in the Universe repository. It's actually the same one I posted above, so just install it using apt-get. :)

borisattva
January 21st, 2006, 07:32 AM
i know there are a ton of email notifiers

but as you can see in my original post,
i'm looking for a unified one to check yahoo msn aim, gmail and pop, the above are mainly pop, and not webbased acces.

'there is one called "mail notification" in the repositories. search for it in synaptic'
thats a good one :) i'm still laughing. wiseass.

briancurtin
January 21st, 2006, 08:03 AM
'there is one called "mail notification" in the repositories. search for it in synaptic'
thats a good one :) i'm still laughing. wiseass.
you claimed to have trouble finding anything, so i figured a simple query might do it. the program is actually called "mail notification". thats the name of it. it might not do exactly what you want, but its a starting point.

you cant do anything for yourself, and when someone suggests you try out an application as simply named as that, they are a wiseass?

borisattva
January 21st, 2006, 08:09 AM
so yeah snazy remarks aside, is anyone aware of a project to incorporate what i describe above? if there is one it must be new and not yet covered much as i didnt come across one on google.

closest i saw was a plugin for mozilla, which is still in development, and i am more interested in a stand alone app anyway.

alternately, how difficult would it be to slap one together?
i have some minimal basic/assembler/cpp/java and scripting experience from the past, but none in internet/comunications/encryption aspect of it.

any constructive responces are appreciated.

borisattva
January 21st, 2006, 08:11 AM
brian: i made my case and specifics clear in my original post, if youre still not getting what this thread is all about then please refrain for posting in it any further.

i gave you a benefit of a doubt when i called you 'wise' and not 'jack'.
if you dont think you come off as a jackass, then think hard and try to imagine what one application searching for 'mail notification' would bring up in synaptics. and i didnt claim i had problem finding 'anything,' only what i was looking for.
just give it up and take your attitude else where please.

Adrenal
January 21st, 2006, 08:23 AM
sudo apt-get install mail-notification
Maybe it's you that should give up and take your attitude else where

borisattva
January 21st, 2006, 08:34 AM
sudo apt-get install mail-notification
Maybe it's you that should give up and take your attitude else where
thanks for that clarification, although he put it with out the - which would bring up any application that has those as keywords. in the context of his exact phrasing you cant deny that it comes off as sarcasticly rude.

try to see what really happened here, instead of rushing to gang up on the new guy.

briancurtin
January 21st, 2006, 09:01 AM
i thought when the guy above me talked about Mail Notification 2.0, and i mentioned to search for mail notification in the repositories (forgetting the hyphen. i meant to search that phrase, and look for the exact program called that), and then he mentioned that he was talking about the same application, that it made sense.

audax321 and myself posted about it at the same time, and he clarified that we were talking about the same application. i was not intending to be a jackass/smartass, just suggesting that you look for that application.

borisattva
January 21st, 2006, 09:06 AM
yep, thats what happened. i tried sending you a PM explaining what happened., but not sure if it went through. if not, sorry for the misunderstanding, and again thanks for the help.

p.s. searching for mail notifcitaion earlier gave me about 2 dozen results none of which menationed the providers i needed. and i just now learned that IMAP means webmail... configured and all works fine now.

briancurtin
January 21st, 2006, 09:16 AM
nah i didnt get any PMs, but its good that you have it configured and it works