PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sporadic fuzzy fonts problem.

1clue
July 1st, 2009, 06:47 PM
Hi,

I just recently upgraded my monitor to an LG Flatron W2453V. The box is fairly old, a Pentium 4 with an ATI Radeon 7500. I'm using the DVI ports, everything is digital.

Right about the same time I started getting rendering problems every now and then with fonts. The fonts suddenly become fuzzy, like the lines of resolution are slightly offset. Other graphics don't seem to be affected.

It does not happen all the time. It does not affect every workspace or even all the apps on the same workspace, although usually multiple windows on the same workspace are affected. Generally, if one screen is affected then at least 2 or 3 others are too. I have 12 workspaces in 2 rows, if that matters.

As well, after switching workspaces a bunch of times, quitting or restarting apps, eventually it will clear itself up again. I have not found a systematic way to cause it to get fuzzy or to clear up.

I'm using Ubuntu 9.0.4/jaunty, 2.6.28-13-generic #44 kernel.

Any ideas? I'm tempted to think that my video card freaks out at the 1920x1080 resolution, or that the monitor itself is causing the problem, but I just don't know.

Thanks.

gettinoriginal
July 1st, 2009, 10:27 PM
Have you tried System > Preferences > Appearance, and playing with the font settings ??

1clue
July 1st, 2009, 10:53 PM
Have you tried System > Preferences > Appearance, and playing with the font settings ??

Yes, I've messed with font settings and all that.

It seems to be something that freaks out on one or more windows simultaneously but not necessarily all the same app, or the same screen.

I'm hoping it's not a hardware problem, but it's suspiciously close to the time I got my new monitor.

Thanks.