PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] web page display and embedded video issue

cattlerepairman
July 1st, 2009, 06:26 PM
HP Pavillion, Intel centrino, Ubuntu 9.04 64bit clean install with separate /home partition, ubuntu firefox 3.0.11, thunderbird 2.0.0.22, system updates current.

Issue:

Following a routine update via Update Manager last week, I discovered that both firefox and thunderbird stopped displaying graphics properly. Firefox also does not display flash heavy pages right. This is very evident on e.g. ebay.com where the page is text-only, without images or animations.
On youtube.com, the videos are displayed, but the page itself is text-only and the videos may or may not play. If they do, it is without a control or status bar and I can only play/pause by clicking into the video.

Thunderbird displays an image box with the red square instead of the images and this box disappears after a few seconds, leaving text only.

I would attach screenshots to illustrate the problem, but for some reason the editing buttons at the top of the window I am typing this posting in seem disabled. Perhaps this is related to my problem.

about : plugins shows the flash plugin installed:
Shockwave Flash File name: npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 10.0 r22

MIME Type
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf Yes
application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player

What I did so far:

- go through the firefox/thunderbird setting regarding inline images, page style, character encoding, java enabled etc. etc...all the basic stuff
- go through flash troubleshooting. This included complete removal of all flash components, ndiswrapper and reinstall. I did this several times, with slightly varying protocols.
- download and install of adobe flash player 10 64-bit version
- reinstall of firefox
- install of opera, firefox 3.5 as alternative browsers. These display the same issue
- complete re-install of ubuntu 9.04, thinking that the issue might be independent of the browser/thunderbird. No solution.

HELP!

cattlerepairman
July 2nd, 2009, 05:55 PM
Bump!

cattlerepairman
July 3rd, 2009, 03:16 PM
bump.