PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't connect to secure wireless network

impervius
July 1st, 2009, 05:15 PM
Ok, I have a Broadcom BCM4318 wireless card in my laptop, and i just managed to install drivers with ndiswrapper.

I can connect to a public, unencrypted wifi network, but i am finding myself unable to connect to my own, encrypted, wireless network.

The security mode is "WPA/WPA2-Personal(PSK)" and the Authentication is "WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK"

Encryption technique "TKIP+AES"

The network broadcasts on 11b+g+n so i dont think it is a network compatibility issue.

In the networks window, the PSK is changed from what i set it to, to some sort of hash, no matter how many times i set it back.

Any advice anyone?

Edit: both baubles in the connecting icon turn green

impervius
July 1st, 2009, 07:58 PM
anyone?

impervius
July 2nd, 2009, 12:38 AM
ok, here's an update- it managed to connect once, but after a restart it refuses to reconnect itself.

please help, i have no idea what exactly is happening

t0mppa
July 2nd, 2009, 01:53 AM
I had a similar problem with my Broadcom card. I'd guess it's because the Windows wireless drivers for those that are posted in all guides are so old that they don't really support WPA or WPA2.

Anyway, to circumvent the issue I just went back to b43 instead and now it works just fine.

MaindotC
July 2nd, 2009, 03:01 AM
Please try the Ubuntu Wireless Troubleshooting Guide (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessTroubleShootingGuide). I use zd1211rw on my card.

impervius
July 2nd, 2009, 11:01 AM
im not sure what part of that guide i should be looking at.

it's now connected twice, both times without a problem. however, every other time, it doesn't work.

impervius
July 2nd, 2009, 05:49 PM
it has now stopped noticing wireless networks

MaindotC
July 2nd, 2009, 06:12 PM
You don't know which part of the guide to view because you haven't read it. Follow the instructions and show us exactly where you are having difficulty.