PDA

View Full Version : Poll: How many dual boot and how many do not!

irv
July 1st, 2009, 03:39 PM
This poll does not include server, only desktops.
I believe this poll will show how many Ubuntu users are using duel boot systems because of things they do are not available yet in Ubuntu. I myself need a Windows OS to run a few software packages that are not supported in Linux and will not run in Wine.
Also I have a piece of hardware (MagicJack) that is not supported yet so I need to duel boot.

wojox
July 1st, 2009, 03:43 PM
No duel boot here.
If you can't run it under Linux you probably don't need it.
That's my motto :D

raymondh
July 1st, 2009, 03:45 PM
I still have a dual boot set-up ... but rarely use it as I virtualize most of the time. Does that count?

WRDN
July 1st, 2009, 03:46 PM
I tri-boot with Ubuntu 9.04 (main OS), Windows Vista and Windows 7 RC (though I have many more OS virtualized).
I use Ubuntu most because I love tinkering, and it's much faster than Windows Vista. On my PC, Windows 7 runs at about the same speed.
I use Windows for games, and Win32 and C# application development. I use Ubuntu for everything else.

irv
July 1st, 2009, 03:58 PM
No duel boot here.

How come you didn't cast your vote?

irv
July 1st, 2009, 03:59 PM
I tri-boot with Ubuntu 9.04 (main OS), Windows Vista and Windows 7 RC (though I have many more OS virtualized).
I use Ubuntu most because I love tinkering, and it's much faster than Windows Vista. On my PC, Windows 7 runs at about the same speed.
I use Windows for games, and Win32 and C# application development. I use Ubuntu for everything else.
You didn't cast your vote?

Legace
July 1st, 2009, 04:00 PM
I've got Windows XP and Ubuntu installed. I plan to upgrade XP to 7 once the RTM version of 7 is released.. :)

wojox
July 1st, 2009, 04:00 PM
Sorry
It's there now.
I didn't see a poll before.

#11u-max
July 1st, 2009, 04:03 PM
i'm dual booting because WUBI depends on windows [must have windows to run ubuntu] it's crazy.....................

indigest
July 1st, 2009, 04:06 PM
I dual boot with Windows XP, although I haven't booted into Windows in months. I keep it there in case I need it some day.

CatKiller
July 1st, 2009, 04:08 PM
i'm dual booting because WUBI depends on windows [must have windows to run ubuntu] it's crazy.....................

I think you're confused.

Vasator
July 1st, 2009, 04:09 PM
I currently went from Dual Booting, then Single, bnack to Dual
Originally with 8.10 and Vista
then 9.04 Single boot
Back to Dual Boot with XP 64-bit and Jaunty

The only reason I have XP installed is for Second Life
Can't get the Nvidia drivers to run properly for SL in ubuntu
but I have Server 2003/2008, vista, and Windows 7 in VirtualBOX

CEB2nd
July 1st, 2009, 04:43 PM
Currently quadruple booting the following:

Jaunty 64
Hardy 32
Win XP Home 32
Win 7 RC 32

ronaldprettyman
July 1st, 2009, 04:46 PM
This poll does not include server, only desktops.
I believe this poll will show how many Ubuntu users are using duel boot systems because of things they do are not available yet in Ubuntu. I myself need a Windows OS to run a few software packages that are not supported in Linux and will not run in Wine.
Also I have a piece of hardware (MagicJack) that is not supported yet so I need to duel boot.
I go back and forth, but with Virtualbox 3.0 I might not have to run windows anymore, just gotta get around to testing directx in vbox3

DeMus
July 1st, 2009, 04:55 PM
Officially I still have Windows XP installed on my desktop computer, but it has been months already since I booted into Windows.
All the programs I need are available in Ubuntu, so why should I boot into that other OS?
I started with Hardy in April of last year and since April of this year I switched to Jaunty. Runs like a Swiss clock.
( a good running clock that is :p )

No, for me no more Windows, maybe experimenting with other Linux distro's but at the moment I have a nice Ubuntu installation and I love every minute using it.

michy99
July 1st, 2009, 04:55 PM
I have dual-boot set-up with XP, but I rarely use it, maybe once a month. I think about getting rid of it entirely, but I keep it around just in case.

irv
July 1st, 2009, 04:57 PM
I go back and forth, but with Virtualbox 3.0 I might not have to run windows anymore, just gotta get around to testing directx in vbox3

After reading about Virtualbox 3 I have installed a few minutes ago and am installing XP SP3 into it as I write this. If I can get everything to work that I use in Vista, I am going to dump my duel boot and only use Ubuntu with virtualbox and XP.
Here is a screen shot of what I am doing:

elianthony
July 1st, 2009, 05:41 PM
I don't dual boot, but I do use 8.04 with Virtualbox. Currently I'm just playing with 9.04 in it, and maybe XP in the near future.

Myself, I don't like dual booting because I like to have access to all of it at once. I don't do anything that VB can't handle, so it works for me.

abhi_69
July 1st, 2009, 05:43 PM
i use dual boot ubuntu 9.04 & windows 7 RC. i always prefer linux for all of my works including browsing & study. windows is only for gaming purpose.
linux is the best OS!!!!!!

FuturePilot
July 1st, 2009, 05:44 PM
I guess you could say I dual boot, however I almost never use Windows. The only reason it's there is for my BIOS updates. Otherwise it's Ubuntu 99% of the time.

UKBB
July 1st, 2009, 05:47 PM
Does using a KVM Switcher between my Win XP PC and my Linux PC count as dual boot?

.Maleficus.
July 1st, 2009, 05:47 PM
I dual boot Arch and Windows 7 and have no intention of changing that setup any time soon.

bobbob1016
July 1st, 2009, 05:48 PM
1 vote for "I run 2 OSes on 2 computers" Acer single-booting Jaunty 64, PPC Powerbook G4 with Leopard at my desk, more elsewhere.

monsterstack
July 1st, 2009, 05:50 PM
I don't require any Windows-only applications, so I have no reason to use Windows whatsoever. I triple-boot with Ubuntu, Debian Squeeze and Debian Sid on the desktop, and dual-boot with Slitaz and (currently) Tinycore Linux on my laptop.

doas777
July 1st, 2009, 05:52 PM
I have enough PCs that I don't need to dual boot. I just change seats or the kvm switch.

megamania
July 1st, 2009, 05:58 PM
You need Wubi to install Ubuntu from inside Windows.

If you only want Ubuntu, just insert the CD and boot off it. At least that's what I've been doing since 2004.

lykwydchykyn
July 1st, 2009, 06:07 PM
Technically none of the choices apply to me. I do not dual boot, but I have to use Windows in virtualbox at work for certain applications.

BTW, not to be a stickler about spelling, but I do find it humorous when people type "duel boot". There's a subtle irony to that typo...

nmccrina
July 1st, 2009, 06:11 PM
I don't dual-boot, even though there are Windows programs I would love to use (FL Studio). I just find that it's a total pain to do half my stuff in one OS, and half my stuff in another and having to reboot all the time. After some thought, I decided that I could get by without Windows programs so I just use Linux.

MechaMechanism
July 1st, 2009, 06:19 PM
Also I have a piece of hardware (MagicJack) that is not supported yet so I need to duel boot.Hows that MagicJack working out. I'm curious if you like it. Is it VoIP? I thought you did not need a computer for MagicJack. Ubuntu all the way for me.

kellemes
July 1st, 2009, 06:22 PM
I only use Arch for the desktop.

aysiu
July 1st, 2009, 06:29 PM
I believe this poll will show how many Ubuntu users are using duel boot systems because of things they do are not available yet in Ubuntu. I disagree. If you start asking if people are triple booting or dual-booting with other Linux OSes, then it isn't clear they are doing so because of something not available yet in Ubuntu. It's also possible people are dual-booting with Windows because they genuinely like Windows and are just trying out Ubuntu as a toy, or they like both Windows and Ubuntu equally and so want both around.

By the way, there are other polls out there as well on this same topic:
Is your PC on dual boot? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1089447&highlight=poll+dual+boot)
Dual-Booting and Virtualization (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=940820)
Do you Dual boot Linux/Windows (or osX)? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=499422&highlight=poll+dual+boot)
Do you Dual boot? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=141084&highlight=poll+dual+boot)
Do you dual boot because of games? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=254214&highlight=poll+dual+boot)

papenpj
July 1st, 2009, 06:44 PM
Im dual booting because until recently Windows XP was my main operating system as for college I needed to use Office 2007. The other say I actually migrated Firefox and Pidgin over to Ubuntu and have been on it. For class I couldn't risk OpenOffice not reading or saving a file correctly and ending up with crazy formating. Altough, I on a regular basis I would use putty to SSH into my headless server and use ubuntu that way for media streaming.

bear54
July 1st, 2009, 06:55 PM
I dual boot with Windows XP and Ubuntu 8.10 but plan on building a new system and using only Ubuntu 9.04. I rarely use Windows anymore and think that having it there is just a waste of disk space! Ubuntu does all I want. I do have a second computer that I use to play with other Linux operating systems. I have a friend who has five Windows systems and all five are infected with spyware, worms etc. He is giving Ubuntu a try so far he is pleased with Ubuntu.
Be Free Use Linux! :cool:

M3TR1C
July 1st, 2009, 07:01 PM
I only use ubuntu but i may start dual booting xp after i figure out y i'm getting the stupid blue screen of during my windows install.

irv
July 1st, 2009, 07:02 PM
Hows that MagicJack working out. I'm curious if you like it. Is it VoIP? I thought you did not need a computer for MagicJack. Ubuntu all the way for me.

MagicJack plugs into the USB port while running in Windows it loads it's software from the unit. After that when you plug it in the software starts up and you dial your number. It does have an echo but I use it to call all over the world. It is VoIP to a degrade. And yes you need a computer

gjoellee
July 1st, 2009, 07:12 PM
I can't really vote on this poll because I am not dual booting, and I am not using Ubuntu, but I voted anyway...

cyberknight72
July 1st, 2009, 07:14 PM
Run Ubuntu has the host OS but run Windws XP in Virtualbox for MS Visio

MechaMechanism
July 1st, 2009, 07:17 PM
MagicJack plugs into the USB port while running in Windows it loads it's software from the unit. After that when you plug it in the software starts up and you dial your number. It does have an echo but I use it to call all over the world. It is VoIP to a degrade. And yes you need a computerThank you.

mamamia88
July 1st, 2009, 07:17 PM
Im dual booting because until recently Windows XP was my main operating system as for college I needed to use Office 2007. The other say I actually migrated Firefox and Pidgin over to Ubuntu and have been on it. For class I couldn't risk OpenOffice not reading or saving a file correctly and ending up with crazy formating. Altough, I on a regular basis I would use putty to SSH into my headless server and use ubuntu that way for media streaming.
___________:

that and the spell checker on open office is nowhere near as good.

rancidguy
July 1st, 2009, 07:20 PM
I dual boot Vista Business & Hardy Heron

ramnarayan
July 1st, 2009, 07:24 PM
Hi
I run Ubuntu 9.04 as my first primary
I also run Ubuntu 7.10 because one of my internet services does not work on any Ubuntu beyond 7.10 (see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1187192)

I have Win XP because one piece of hard ware an epson Scanner 4900 does not work on Ubuntu (i have not been able to set it up though the necessary drivers exist)

My 4th OS is usually an experimental OS to check out whats the latest so have tried Mandriva 2009.1, OpenSuse 11.1, Pardus, PCLINUXos etc and this last option allows me to know whats missing in Ubuntu (like iscan thats built into opensuse) etc.

I also hide my Wince Xp OS in the grub by #'ing since i use it very infrequently and want to show off my open only system and only when i need it do i un # is ;-)

Finally is response to the orinal question (directly) i think Ubuntu and Linux in general are failing on the hardware front. They seem to be the only problems that no amount of hacking seems to be able to resolve and ironically newer versions of Ubuntu (and / or Linux) seem to also drop support for hardware at the same rate they add new hardware support. needless to say its frustrating and irritating and sad as well.

ram

unknownPoster
July 1st, 2009, 07:32 PM
I don't dual boot, but I don't use Ubuntu either...so yeah...

ramnarayan
July 1st, 2009, 07:34 PM

Hmmm...
Actually you would have chosen to install Ubuntu using WUBI (Windows Ubuntu Installer) thats why it seems like what you say. However the better way is to Install Ubuntu as the primary OS and allow it to pick up Wincedows.

Ubuntu (or any other Linux's) do not need Wincedows to run or install.

ram

ramnarayan
July 1st, 2009, 07:44 PM
Like the "duel" in the poll questions

its really a duel between the various OS's, even among the various linux distro's, and i guess once we get the perfect one it will all be another attempt at monopoly ;)

ram

0per4t0r
July 1st, 2009, 07:44 PM
Why? Just burn a CD, restart, and install ubuntu normally.

unknownPoster
July 1st, 2009, 07:45 PM
Like the "duel" in the poll questions

its really a duel between the various OS's, even among the various linux distro's, and i guess once we get the perfect one it will all be another attempt at monopoly ;)

ram

That will never happen...

jcm1107
July 2nd, 2009, 06:58 PM
Hi, I dual boot. I use Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy most of the time and windows xp when I need to.

RiceMonster
July 2nd, 2009, 07:02 PM
My desktop runs only Arch Linux
My laptop dual boots Fedora and Windows Vista

Tipped OuT
July 2nd, 2009, 07:04 PM
I dual boot Windows XP and Ubuntu. I use Windows ONLY for games.

richg
July 2nd, 2009, 07:33 PM
I Quintuple boot. ;);)

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l267/richg1998/Computers/Quintupleboot.jpg

Rich

Blacklightbulb
July 2nd, 2009, 08:26 PM
Ubuntu is far form enough for me. Using another Linux OS make sense only in a limited amount of cases and I and lucky enough not to need M$ OSes

learningcurb
July 2nd, 2009, 09:45 PM
I read somewhere that you can create up to 56 logical partitions. I tried something along these lines to try out more Linux distros, but the GRUB menu starts to look really messy after about 5 distros. :)

koleoptero
July 2nd, 2009, 10:19 PM
I love duels so I voted the first. :p

Eisenwinter
July 2nd, 2009, 10:45 PM
I wonder why the word "dual" in the thread title is spelled as "dual", but in the poll, as "duel".

I dual boot.

Khrimzunn
July 2nd, 2009, 10:48 PM
I would say I triple boot, but that's a lie since my Mac book is dedicated to OSX Tiger.
But on my custom I am forced to dual boot Windows with Ubuntu.

cmay
July 2nd, 2009, 11:05 PM
did not dual boot for years. i have now many old computers instead and all runs a *nix of some sort . i try to help betatest and somethings like that so having to install dualboots all the time is annoying. rather just use a older pc and have many of them standing.

LinuxFox
July 2nd, 2009, 11:45 PM
I dual boot with Windows XP. Windows is the original OS on my computer. I still use Windows for my digital music players and for playing my PC games.

For internet and trying new Linux-related things I use Ubuntu. I even use it to play a few free software games I like. 8)

evermooingcow
July 2nd, 2009, 11:48 PM
I have swappable drives in removable bays for dual boot also but only use a spare if I want to test something new on real hardware without messing with my working setup. Once I'm settled on a working test I stick with it. I don't multi-boot for regular tasks.

Right now I have a working Gentoo setup with Gentoo+SELinux in testing. Once the SELinux setup is working the origianl install will be scrapped for something new to try.

MichaelRX8
July 3rd, 2009, 01:29 AM
I used to dual boot on my acer laptop with an Intel integrated graphics card, I needed windows to run mame and zsnes well. I recently bought a Compaq with an Nvidia chip (really affordable too) and no longer need windows. I feel so much cleaner now.

sdlynx
July 3rd, 2009, 03:54 AM
No duel boot here.

Good point lol.

only problem is when you have a hardware issue that doesn't occur on Windows

RiceMonster
July 3rd, 2009, 03:58 AM
I used to dual boot on my acer laptop with an Intel integrated graphics card, I needed windows to run mame and zsnes well. I recently bought a Compaq with an Nvidia chip (really affordable too) and no longer need windows. I feel so much cleaner now.

?

zsnes is available for Linux.

lisati
July 3rd, 2009, 04:02 AM
The poll is flawed: I dual boot but the OSes do not engage in a duel...... :)

MichaelRX8
July 3rd, 2009, 06:19 AM
Ricemonster. Sure can, its in the repo's. Just type zsnes into synaptic.

Tipped OuT
July 3rd, 2009, 06:24 AM
?

zsnes is available for Linux.

Maybe he gets better performance for games in Windows, then in Linux.

monsterstack
July 3rd, 2009, 06:29 AM
Maybe he gets better performance for games in Windows, then in Linux.

Mednafen is the greatest of all Nintendo emulators. But then I prefer NES games over SNES games any way. Maybe he should try snes9x.

Tipped OuT
July 3rd, 2009, 06:38 AM
Mednafen is the greatest of all Nintendo emulators. But then I prefer NES games over SNES games any way. Maybe he should try snes9x.

+1

I don't know about snes9x under Linux (I heard it's harder to run, and to just use zsnes instead), but I use it under Windows, and it's great! Very easy, and gets the job done.

oldsoundguy
July 3rd, 2009, 06:39 AM
poll doesn't have what I do.
I have multiple computers. 5 with various Linux builds with the main workhorse running Hardy LTS.
Then there are two SEPARATE XP computers for those things that just run better on Windows and that there are no "AS GOOD AS OR BETTER" Linux substitutes as of now.
DUAL (sic) booting never crossed my mind as I saw way too many issues with it in the early days and there still are problems that come up .. all you have to do is follow these forums to see that.
Much better to run your Windows on a VIRTUAL than dual boot if you need both on the same machine. LESS problems and more control over your Windows and your computer.

ramnarayan
July 3rd, 2009, 08:06 AM
poll doesn't have what I do.
DUAL (sic) booting never crossed my mind as I saw way too many issues with it in the early days and there still are problems that come up .. all you have to do is follow these forums to see that.

Not so sure, i have been dual booting for 4-5 years now and the problems that exist are npot because of dual booting but those inherent in the Linux OS itself. It has been good dual booting because with a shared drive i can use the same software on both (many sides) like firefox, thunderbird.

Much better to run your Windows on a VIRTUAL than dual boot if you need both on the same machine. LESS problems and more control over your Windows and your computer.

So how does one go about doing this. It does seem like a better option that dual booting. Maybe we need a separate thread for this.

thanks

TomX19
July 3rd, 2009, 08:12 AM
I was dual booting but only using Windows Vista for iTunes. One day iTunes crashed and my PC didn't even want to boot as far as the grub menu. I eventually got it going again but this was the last straw for Windows as far as I was concerned, so I made the effort to set up and learn Amarok to manage my music and I haven't looked back.

The virus called Vista has now been removed ;)

magh-87
July 3rd, 2009, 08:20 AM
Right now I have three computers, one of which is a laptop. 1 desktop and 1 laptop dual boot, my oldest desktop only run ubuntu

itreius
July 3rd, 2009, 08:40 AM
I dual boot with OS X.

MikeTheC
July 3rd, 2009, 05:31 PM
That would depend entirely about which computer of mine you were asking.

My eMachines unit is dual-booted with Vista and Ubuntu.

My Mac Mini server is single-booted with Debian Lenny.

My Mac Mini workstation is single-booted with Leopard.

My MBP is single-booted with Leopard, and when it comes out in September, Snow Leopard.

Idaho Dan
July 3rd, 2009, 05:48 PM
Dual boot with Windows XP at work.
If only they had a different scanner I would have no use for XP at all.

At home I dual boot with XP.
The grandson likes his World of Warcraft and I don't have the ambition to try to make it work with Wine!

angry_johnnie
July 3rd, 2009, 07:37 PM
I'm just a multi-booter, at heart. :)

I keep Ubuntu installed because it's the easiest thing to go back to whenever everything else turns into fluffy kittens and pink ponies.

I keep Windows XP installed because some things just work better/faster/smoother in Windows.

I keep Puppy, because it's the only thing that'll save me whenever Ubuntu thinks it's time to start acting 'funny.'

I install/uninstall/reinstall a BSD every now and then just because I'm stubborn and I'm pretty sure that I'm getting rather good... or maybe just less bad at it... This same partition is used for other Linuxes, whenever it's time for BSD to die.

And, I have a spare drive (an old, 5 Gb drive), which I use to install/uninstall/reinstall whatever else I might find interesting at any given time, like MS-DOS (for those good ol' Duke Nukem games), which is what's on it right now, although I'm tempted to throw SliTaz, or some other really small thing in there... I'm just not sure...