PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet cable colors

spongypants23
July 1st, 2009, 03:07 PM
I have three different colored ethernet cables. One yellow/orange, one green, and one blue.

What's the difference between the three and which would be the best to use to connect a server to a router?

Don't be afraid to get techy!

OffHand
July 1st, 2009, 04:02 PM
They are probably all the same. It will be printed on the cable.

conundrumx
July 1st, 2009, 04:24 PM
The only reason ethernet cables are made in different colors is so you can distinguish between, say, a mission critical server's connection and a test box's.

cariboo
July 1st, 2009, 04:44 PM
Belkin cables uses yellow for crossover cables.

swoll1980
July 1st, 2009, 04:54 PM
I've got blue, black, yellow, gray, and orange. They are all the same, except the color. The cables are called twisted pairs, and are made up of 4 pairs of cables twisted together with a protective sleeve over them. They can be up to about 300 ft.(93 meters I believe) long. The cables quality is gauged by the number of twist. The color of the cable doesn't indicate the number of twist.

spongypants23
July 1st, 2009, 05:18 PM
thanks guys!

3rdalbum
July 1st, 2009, 05:38 PM
They should make red Ethernet cables. Anything red goes faster.

In all seriousness, why are the primary colours chosen? Yellow, green, blue? If you wanted to install some Ethernet cabling in your house, you would want some sort of neutral colour that wouldn't look out-of-place. I understand that they need to be easy to see in ceilings or in dark crowded racks, but surely there could be some colour options for the design conscious?

Maybe I should go into business selling Cat6 cables in Mocha, Saddle or Beige.

swoll1980
July 1st, 2009, 05:40 PM

In all seriousness, why are the primary colours chosen? Yellow, green, blue? If you wanted to install some Ethernet cabling in your house, you would want some sort of neutral colour that wouldn't look out-of-place.

When you get great ideas like this you shouldn't announce them to the world. [-X

KiwiNZ
July 1st, 2009, 08:08 PM
http://www.incentre.net/content/view/75/2/

.Maleficus.
July 1st, 2009, 08:31 PM

In all seriousness, why are the primary colours chosen? Yellow, green, blue? If you wanted to install some Ethernet cabling in your house, you would want some sort of neutral colour that wouldn't look out-of-place. I understand that they need to be easy to see in ceilings or in dark crowded racks, but surely there could be some colour options for the design conscious?

Neutral grey? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6801286&st=cat6&lp=5&type=product&cp=1&id=1091099783994

ibuclaw
July 1st, 2009, 08:35 PM
http://www.incentre.net/content/view/75/2/

That is to do with wires, not the patch cables themselves. ;)

Although +1 on that page. That was what I used as a reference when I made my first RJ45 patch cable.

Regards
Iain

LookTJ
July 1st, 2009, 09:04 PM
Some have protection, some don't. Like I have a pink cable, which I will never use in ceilings, because it will kill you. That's what I would use a blue cable for. :)

koenn
July 1st, 2009, 11:01 PM
The only reason ethernet cables are made in different colors is so you can distinguish between, say, a mission critical server's connection and a test box's.
or to color code separate (V)LANs