PDA

View Full Version : Im skipping the Jaunty release -- Anyone else?

kevdog
July 1st, 2009, 02:22 PM
Call it laziness however I usually wait about a month or two before upgrading distributions. I'm currently running Intrepid. After running about the Intel Graphics problems with Jaunty that sealed the deal for me -- just wait for the next release, wait about a month for the bug reports to surface, then make an informed decision whether to upgrade.

Just wondering if anyone else is deciding to skip this release as well?

Moustacha
July 1st, 2009, 02:27 PM
I'm forced to skip it on my laptop. PPTP VPN doesn't work on Jaunty, doesn't work on Intrepid but does if I install the PPTP packages from Hardy. And Hardy doesn't work with my wireless, so I'm stuck with a Frankenstein install.

t0p
July 1st, 2009, 02:44 PM
On my desktop machine I "skipped" intrepid as well as jaunty. I used to do an install every 6 months, but when hardy came out I decided to stick to the LTS releases. So I'm sticking with hardy on the desktop machine until the next LTS (when will that be - April 2010?)

But my eeepc is another matter. I change versions every 6 months just for the crack. Right now I'm running jaunty-based eeebuntu on the eee, and when karmic comes out I'm sure I'll give it a whirl.

This way I get the best of both worlds. My desktop machine is nice and stable, and I get to try out the latest stuff on my lil eee. Bloody wonderful!

sharathpaps
July 1st, 2009, 03:42 PM
I'm skipping Jaunty. Everything works perfectly on Intrepid for me right now and I'm reluctant to give that up.

timjohn7
July 1st, 2009, 03:47 PM
I'm skipping Jaunty. Everything works perfectly on Intrepid for me right now and I'm reluctant to give that up.

Me too... Intel graphics on my laptop, so I'm sticking with what works for the next 6 months or so.

satipera
July 1st, 2009, 03:52 PM
I wished I had missed jaunty out, although my lappy brightness buttons now work it only shuts down properly about 1 in 5 times. I will upgrade to 9.10 then 10.04 and stick with that for two years as I can't afford to loose data on this comp. After just reading that Debian are not including mono by default I am moving my other computer over to Debian to familiarise myself with it, if Ubuntu carry on using mono by default I am seriously thinking of jumping ship.

papangul
July 1st, 2009, 04:12 PM
I can't upgrade to jaunty because direct upgrade from hardy to jaunty is not possible, I have to go through intrepid. Direct upgrade from one LTS to next is possible,though. So waiting for next LTS.

andamaru
July 1st, 2009, 04:55 PM
I'm forced to skip it on my laptop. PPTP VPN doesn't work on Jaunty, doesn't work on Intrepid but does if I install the PPTP packages from Hardy. And Hardy doesn't work with my wireless, so I'm stuck with a Frankenstein install.

I'm on Jaunty and I don't have any problem with pptp, I've also set it up on a few people's laptop at my school and they have all had similar success stories. What tools are you using to connect?

3rdalbum
July 1st, 2009, 05:39 PM
I'm using Jaunty on my desktop and Intrepid on netbook and server.

Jaunty and Intrepid are both good releases.

Subban
July 1st, 2009, 06:52 PM
Skipping Jaunty on my desktop and AAO for different reasons.

Desktop is staying Intrepid because everything is working so damned fine I don't want to risk breaking it, and the AAO because from what I have read Intrepid seems to work better now I have tweaked and configured it all. I would really appreciate the faster boto from Jaunty on my AAO though, that has been a temptation.

gn2
July 1st, 2009, 07:18 PM
For various reasons I'm still using 8.04 and it looks like unless there are improvements in the next LTS I will be moving to another distribution.

nitehawk777
July 1st, 2009, 08:38 PM
I'm "skipping" for awhile,....(until LTS)..
put Debian Lenny on my main computer,...'cause I just want something stable, that works for now. A few months down the road (when the apps in Debian start to age)...I may go with Squeeze, or something else (like Mepis).

koleoptero
July 1st, 2009, 09:36 PM
Wow, what's with the intel graphics problem? My 945GM works properly only in jaunty. In previous versions I had problems with some font rendering, and video in gstreamer apps.

Megrimn
July 1st, 2009, 09:56 PM
yeah, waiting for LTS. have jaunty on another computer, but haven't worked with it much.

I wish they would put "displayconfig -gtk" back in, my other laptop doesn't work so well with the 'autodetect.'

Potters Son
July 1st, 2009, 10:04 PM
I'm currently running Intrepid. After running about the Intel Graphics problems with Jaunty that sealed the deal for me -- just wait for the next release, wait about a month for the bug reports to surface, then make an informed decision whether to upgrade.

Well, I have Intel 965GM Graphics, and I skipped from Hardy, over Intrepid, to Jaunty. I'd upgraded to Intrepid before and had many more problems... For instance, with Cheese, I had to close off every application before I took a picture or my screen would go white for the flash and stay like that. The only problem Jaunty's giving me is the fact that my HDA Intel sound card is misconfigured, meaning that whenever I want to use the internal microphone I have to reconfigure it in HDA Analyzer.

CJ Master
July 1st, 2009, 11:06 PM
I'm skipping it because the new propriety drivers aren't compatible with Ati Xpress 200. *sob*

drawkcab
July 1st, 2009, 11:12 PM
If you have the Intel problem it is a good idea to skip. Had to do some fiddling with it to get it to work in my netbook. Fwiw, my mom's new thinkpad had some Intel chip that worked well with Fedora 11 ootb so a functional Intel driver shouldn't be far off.

RD1
July 1st, 2009, 11:23 PM
Jaunty has been a success here! Intel video working fine. Yes, I had to do a little work on it but, it was worth it. :popcorn:

notanerd
July 2nd, 2009, 09:55 AM
I upgraded to Jaunty but had to revert to Intrepid because my ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 is a piece of **** card and doesn't work with Jaunty. I also can't use compiz for the same reason. I am just hoping this can get sorted out or else I will have to leave Ubuntu when support for Intrepid runs out

Aearenda
July 2nd, 2009, 10:02 AM
It was Intrepid I should have skipped, it caused me a couple of months of angst, with several reversions to Hardy on the HP TC1100 I had then. However, Jaunty has been just great for me, both on my new Aspire One (the TC1100 is very sick now) and on my Dell Inspiron 630 desktop, with no reversion to earlier versions at all. I still run Hardy on my servers (LTS and all that).

Moustacha
July 2nd, 2009, 01:45 PM
I'm on Jaunty and I don't have any problem with pptp, I've also set it up on a few people's laptop at my school and they have all had similar success stories. What tools are you using to connect?

Using the pptp in network manager and tried using kpptp. network manager pptp just gives me an error and random crap in /var/daemon.log. it gets an IP for the vpn then disconnects. kpptp does the same thing too, connects for 3 seconds then disconnects. I don't know exactly what the settings are for the network at uni, but it works if i use the old network manager from hardy (0.6.6) but fails consistently with 0.7+

ukripper
July 2nd, 2009, 02:51 PM
I normally skip ubuntu .10 cycle every year. I tend to do fresh install for .04 releases only. I am running jaunty now and will do fresh install for 10.04 next year.

HappyFeet
July 2nd, 2009, 05:17 PM
I don't skip any release. I need to know the ins and outs of every release for my customers. Plus, it's like Christmas every 6 months.

Blacklightbulb
July 2nd, 2009, 08:04 PM
It seriously seems reasonable to stick to the LTS since with every upgrade there's a bug or two to fix.

kevdog
July 3rd, 2009, 12:35 AM
Just my opinion, however wasn't the LTS just as buggy as any other regular release? Hardy was terrible for me!

gn2
July 3rd, 2009, 12:42 AM
Just my opinion, however wasn't the LTS just as buggy as any other regular release? Hardy was terrible for me!

You're not mistaken about 8.04.
Try as I might I'm still stuck with using the vesa driver (Intel adapter) and the sound took me a while to fix.
Despite this, it's still better than either 8.10 or 9.04 for me.

EarthMind
July 3rd, 2009, 06:43 PM
Initially I wanted to skip the release but some problems in my previous installation forced me to upgrade. Same thing with my sister's laptop

hessiess
July 3rd, 2009, 07:04 PM
My desktop is still running hardy, though I am probably going to put Arch on it now I have some free time again.

Yvan300
July 3rd, 2009, 07:17 PM
I am forced to skip the Jaunty release as well. I tried it out for a few days but the bugs associated with the free drivers were very annoying and reduced productivity. I hope that karamic koala will allow us to use the propiertary drivers otherwise i may have to skip it as well.

ubudog
July 3rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Not me. I got it and I love it. I think the intel things should be fixed next release.

RiceMonster
July 3rd, 2009, 07:22 PM

Yup, I remember all kinds of complaints like "Hardy was released too early!" or "Why is an LTS release so buggy?" etc.

HappyFeet
July 3rd, 2009, 07:26 PM
Yup, I remember all kinds of complaints like "Hardy was released too early!" or "Why is an LTS release so buggy?" etc.

Every release of any distro/OS has complaints. Nothing in life can be perfect for everyone. I wish people would realize this.

Sand & Mercury
July 3rd, 2009, 07:28 PM
I'm skipping it because the new propriety drivers aren't compatible with Ati Xpress 200. *sob*
I've got an Xpress 200 as well but the free drivers are passable (but not great) for me, thankfully. I'd probably drop back to Intrepid but Jaunty was the first release to get wireless working properly on my laptop.

If you have the Intel problem it is a good idea to skip. Had to do some fiddling with it to get it to work in my netbook. Fwiw, my mom's new thinkpad had some Intel chip that worked well with Fedora 11 ootb so a functional Intel driver shouldn't be far off.
If you're referring to lockups being a problem, they've fixed that. My girlfriend's AspireOne netbook has been behaving itself nicely for the last week or so since the fix came out.

RiceMonster
July 3rd, 2009, 07:33 PM
Every release of any distro/OS has complaints. Nothing in life can be perfect for everyone. I wish people would realize this.

Indeed.

kevdog
July 4th, 2009, 03:32 AM
I hold the LTS releases however to a higher standard of stability versus new features -- a standard in my opinion that was ignored with the Hardy release.

calrogman
July 4th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I can't upgrade to jaunty because direct upgrade from hardy to jaunty is not possible, I have to go through intrepid. Direct upgrade from one LTS to next is possible,though. So waiting for next LTS.

First:
dpkg --get-selections > ~/packages.list
Second: Run the installer from the 9.04 CD as per norm and don't format the /home partition. You can use this to upgrade and downgrade.

Third: Do a full system upgrade, to make sure everything is up to date.
Fourth:
dpkg --set-selections < ~/packages.list && aptitude full-upgrade

Gizenshya
July 4th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I've been using Jaunty since it came out and I absolutely love it. There were a few annoying issues with Hardy and Intrepid (sometimes programs would start acting funny, and I'd have to restart), but they are all fixed, save for one. And that one is probably rare... since I have no internal CD drive, I use external ones when I need them. and if I flip it off without unmounting it, it won't acknowledge that I've changed the disc until restart.. so I make sure I unmount and mount properly... not a big deal, really. especially since Hardy and Intrepid did it also, so I'm not losing anything. and no, I haven;t submitted a bug report about it (never done one, and don't know the process). I wouldn't be opposed to it, though, if someone thinks I should.

There are some little changes that I enjoy as well. It has been more stable for me than any previous release I've tried.

I did a fresh install at hardy (because I had the disc), then upgraded to Intrepid for a while, then upgraded to Jaunty when it came out. dunno if that makes a difference, but there it is

Also, computer specs are below, for those curious.

CJ Master
July 4th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I've got an Xpress 200 as well but the free drivers are passable (but not great) for me, thankfully. I'd probably drop back to Intrepid but Jaunty was the first release to get wireless working properly on my laptop.

If you're referring to lockups being a problem, they've fixed that. My girlfriend's AspireOne netbook has been behaving itself nicely for the last week or so since the fix came out.

Of course its passable, I use them myself now (on arch.) But gosh do I want to play some 3d games sometimes...

AICollector
July 4th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Jaunty was my first upgrade. Having tested beta software, I should of seen it from a mile off, it wasnt ready.

Nothing that a horde of programmers wearing their bug-stomping boots won't fix, though.

Still...this has taught me to be a bit more careful and run the new system under VirtualBox before I do an upgrade...might even take the LTS route (if Kubuntu goes LTS this time)