PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] powermac b&w rev1 proceser always at 100% in ubuntu

hansolo669
July 1st, 2009, 01:25 PM
hey guys

now befor i start pleas note i am not a linux noob and i know my way around ubuntu very well...ok no i'l start....

recently i receved a b&w powre mac witout a hd, so i took a spare hd i had lying around, and proceded to instal jaunty on it...bad idea it wayy to slow(350mhz cpu overclocked to 400mhz) anyway when i look at the system monitor it shows the cpu as being at 100%...all the time

so does anyone have an idea? i might just go down to xubuntu 6 or 7 to try and get more speed.

also there is wird lines and such on the courser whenever i move it very strange.

so thanks for any help

MikeTheC
July 1st, 2009, 07:07 PM
See if you can get Xubuntu for it instead to try and reduce the overhead. Also, how much RAM does that system have?

hansolo669
July 14th, 2009, 06:54 PM
the system has 1gb of ram (but i think it only sees half) also the hd keeps getting corrupted (its rev1 itsw a known prob)

3rdalbum
July 15th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Does "top" or Gnome System Monitor show a particular process that is using up all the CPU power?

Also I didn't know it was possible to overclock a PowerPC Macintosh; it might be an upgrade board?

hansolo669
August 3rd, 2009, 04:28 AM
Does "top" or Gnome System Monitor show a particular process that is using up all the CPU power?

Also I didn't know it was possible to overclock a PowerPC Macintosh; it might be an upgrade board?

nope no upgrade bord i just moved some jumpers and got 400mhz(btw not a noob) and i havent had a cance because it just wont login any more so...i just have to wait and see