PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu upgrade errors.

fraserad
July 1st, 2009, 10:04 AM
Hey,
Total Linux newb here.
I just installed some updates from the update manager and now my GRUB has 2 ubuntu options to run. 2.6.28-11 and 2.6.28-13. Is this a new version of linux? and which version should I load?

At first when i try to boot in the 2.6.28-13 it came up with an error that my graphics werent congfigured properly so I had to reboot. I did that and now Maya wont work properly because it says there OpenGL isn't configured properly.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

raymondh
July 1st, 2009, 06:32 PM
Hey,
Total Linux newb here.
I just installed some updates from the update manager and now my GRUB has 2 ubuntu options to run. 2.6.28-11 and 2.6.28-13. Is this a new version of linux? and which version should I load?

At first when i try to boot in the 2.6.28-13 it came up with an error that my graphics werent congfigured properly so I had to reboot. I did that and now Maya wont work properly because it says there OpenGL isn't configured properly.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

You installed a new kernel 2.28.6-13. You always have the option to boot any/either kernel. Given the current status of 28-13, continue to use 28-11 until you get to fix 28-13.

Can you detail more the error/s?

Some thoughts ....

When you installed 28-11 (or Ubuntu), did you have to install/update any drivers (whether proprietary or open-source)? If so, you may have to re-install for 28-13 as well (of course, while being booted in 28-13). Quick check is system > admin > hardware drivers.

Maybe Maya does not work because of dependency problems. Can you access a terminal and try running Maya .... post back out

In the meantime, you can search for and install startupmanager which allows you to set defaults for your boot-up preferences.