PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Grub Loader 1.5

Fender89
July 1st, 2009, 08:39 AM
Hey, i just installed ubuntu 9.04 on my parents machine. Went through the cd using all the default settings, chose to use entire disk. When i restart to boot ubuntu for the first time, i just get "Grub Loader 1.5" and it just sits there forever.

What can i do to rectify this?

colau
July 1st, 2009, 08:45 AM
Hey, i just installed ubuntu 9.04 on my parents machine. Went through the cd using all the default settings, chose to use entire disk. When i restart to boot ubuntu for the first time, i just get "Grub Loader 1.5" and it just sits there forever.

What can i do to rectify this?
Did you try reinstalling grub boot loader?

Fender89
July 1st, 2009, 09:10 AM
Haven't tried that, but it doesn't make sense that a new, clean installation needs to reinstall grub on its very first boot. But i will try it anyway. Is that through synaptic?

colau
July 1st, 2009, 09:20 AM
Haven't tried that, but it doesn't make sense that a new, clean installation needs to reinstall grub on its very first boot. But i will try it anyway. Is that through synaptic?
You have to use ubuntu 9.04 live cd.

colau
July 1st, 2009, 09:46 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351&highlight=install+grub

Fender89
July 1st, 2009, 10:24 AM
Ok, tried that. Still doing the same thing. This isnt the first time this has happened with this machine. I've tried several versions of ubuntu, kubuntu and xubuntu all with the same outcome. Could it be something in the bios?

Fender89
July 1st, 2009, 10:49 AM
Ah ok, a bios update has fixed it.