PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless card problem.

jackalpup1282
July 1st, 2009, 07:17 AM
Hi there folks!

I think my problem is the same as many people here: i can't install my wireless card. : (

The fact is that i read a lot of stuff here, and NONE help me to install ndiswrapper to then install my wireless card driver.

I have downloaded the ndiswrapper.deb because i think that would be easier than the tar.gz file. But when i try to install the file, it just start loading and does NOTHING. :(

Then i try to install the ndiswrapper.tar.gz version. using that code:

cd ~/Desktop
sudo -s
apt-get install build-essential
tar -xzvf ndiswrapper*
cd ndiswrapper*
make
make install

I put the file on the desktop (ndiswrapper-1.55.tar.gz), and when i use the command "apt-get install build-essential" i got this answer "E: Couldn't find package build-essential".

So then i try to install the build-essential(.deb) and got "Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: g++ (>= 4:4.3.1)"

The problem is that i don't have a connection to the internet with the linux. I can get files with other computer and put there using a pendrive.

Thank You

The Toxic Mite
July 1st, 2009, 07:25 AM
Go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal, and type in the following code please:

lshw -c network

Post the results of that when you are done. :)

jackalpup1282
July 1st, 2009, 07:57 AM
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 10
serial: 00:0b:cd:ec:88:40
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=8139too driverversion=0.9.28 latency=64 maxlatency=64 mingnt=32 module=8139too multicast=yes
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: ACX 111 54Mbps Wireless Interface
vendor: Texas Instruments
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: wlan0
version: 00
serial: 00:11:95:48:bd:46
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=acx_pci latency=64 module=acx multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11b+/g+
*-network DISABLED
physical id: 1
logical name: pan0
serial: 62:06:4f:3d:c5:25
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A multicast=yes

The Toxic Mite
July 1st, 2009, 09:11 AM
*-network
product: RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 10
serial: 00:0b:cd:ec:88:40
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=8139too driverversion=0.9.28 latency=64 maxlatency=64 mingnt=32 module=8139too multicast=yes
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: ACX 111 54Mbps Wireless Interface
vendor: Texas Instruments
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: wlan0
version: 00
serial: 00:11:95:48:bd:46
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=acx_pci latency=64 module=acx multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11b+/g+
*-network DISABLED
physical id: 1
logical name: pan0
serial: 62:06:4f:3d:c5:25
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A multicast=yes

Do a forum search with the term "texas instruments", and if you find something interesting, please do tell me about it :)

jackalpup1282
July 3rd, 2009, 09:34 AM
Sorry, but i look at the entire forum. Try a thousand times and i still couldn't make it work. I'm installing windows again right now.

Itīs very difficult to make things work in linux. I spend about 3 days to make my wireless card work, and nothing. : (

This can be the greatest operating system of all time, but you still have to spend a LOT OF TIME just to make it work.

Thanks for trying to help me. I will look out for a new version of Ubuntu where will be easier to make it work. I hope that next version of Ubuntu already come with ndiswrapper installed.

Thanks for all help again.

Idefix82
July 3rd, 2009, 09:42 AM
To install ndiwsrapper is actually very easy. You open the terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal) and type in

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9

jackalpup1282
July 3rd, 2009, 11:12 AM
How can someone install a wireless card acessing the internet if you are trying to install your wireless because you don't have a internet?

See the problem, why this is not easy?

Idefix82
July 3rd, 2009, 01:00 PM
I'm sorry, I was assuming that you have got a wired connection.

In that case, download ndiswrapper-common.deb and ndiswrapper-utils-1.9.deb, save them on your desktop, install the common first, then the utils. That should be all the dependencies you need.

You tried to compile from source and for that you needed a C++ compiler, that's why you had so many dependencies unsatisfied.

jackalpup1282
July 4th, 2009, 06:27 PM
i have try this before and didn't work. : (

I try a lot of stuff. I installed it on my girlfriend computer, no great problems. Except that i tried to install the flash a milions times, and then i discovered that the problem is not the way i installed but the flash player of linux.

I think that Linux has many cool stuff, but a lot of problems. One of then is the amount of distros. If the linux community uses the same version, i think that today it could be unquestionable better than Windows or any other OS.

Sorry, but i thinking i should tryi Ubuntu another time. I think this OS is not ready yet.

Thanks for you help.

Idefix82
July 4th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I think that Linux has many cool stuff, but a lot of problems. One of then is the amount of distros. If the linux community uses the same version, i think that today it could be unquestionable better than Windows or any other OS.

Of course, you are entitled to your own opinion but consider this: one of the major points in the open source philosophy is that people should have a choice. The reason for there being so many distros is that there are people who think that the distros around don't perfectly satisfy their - possibly very specific - needs, so they create a new one. That's also why there are usually several open source programs for the same task, several desktop environments, several window managers and so on. This is usually regarded as a strength and not a weakness of Linux. Besides, many people, including myself, think that Linux is already far superior to Windows.

Sorry, but i thinking i should tryi Ubuntu another time. I think this OS is not ready yet.

That's a pity but it's your decision (isn't it great that you can make one rather than being forced to use Windows because there is nothing else around). If you change your mind then come back here and people will sort you out. You haven't given us much of a chance to help you and there are very few people who didn't get their system to run with the help of the forums.

Thanks for you help.
You are welcome.