View Full Version : Civ 4 asking for CD, but it's in the drive

July 1st, 2009, 05:04 AM
I just installed Civ 4 using Wine, but the game won't start because it wants the CD in the drive. But it is in the drive.

Do I need a no-cd patch? How do I install it? This is the 2-disk version, BTW. And I did install patch 1.74.

July 1st, 2009, 03:04 PM
I have not personally tried Civ4 but I know for Wine to detect a disc in my drive often times I need to click into Places -> CD and view the contents of the disc for it to get mounted properly so Wine can detect it.

Hopes this helps,

July 1st, 2009, 04:04 PM
That worked once, but it's not doing it again.

July 1st, 2009, 10:03 PM
I would go with the no-cd, that is what I did when I was playing Civ 4 on an airplane on my laptop. You can just google it

July 1st, 2009, 10:07 PM
You play civ IV cool thats my all time favorite game. I personally have the steam version which I had no troubles getting it to work in wine.

July 2nd, 2009, 12:23 AM
have you tried going to the winehq (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=2514) website? They usually have solutions to problems. If your having this problem there is a chance that others have faced your same problem.

July 2nd, 2009, 06:35 AM
Wine does not support certain forms of system drivers, which is the way most copy protections work. Grab a No-CD patch and you'll be set. Now ask the developers to stop making copyprotected games. :D

I'd say a lot more here, but just look up what happened with Spore and you'll see why copy protection is bad and actually makes the games sell less legit copies.

July 2nd, 2009, 06:55 AM
Not to get into a debate, but copy protection in and of itself is not bad; it is the method of copy protection that can be bad. For example, a simple executable-based disk check is copy protection that by most standards is not considered bad at all (and actually works in Wine). However, copy protection that installs hidden and/or potentially damaging drivers, requires and/or limits online activations and prevents legal first sale rights is very, very bad.

On the subject at hand, based on the information on Wine's Application Database, the copy protection method used by Civ 4 is not fully supported in Wine and you will need to get the no-cd crack to run it. Unfortunately, the subject of cracked executables is taboo here, so you will have to figure out for yourself where and how to get one.

July 2nd, 2009, 07:02 AM
Well i know about that, that's why i wrote "patch". Some copy protection are really ridiculous - for example i had Crescendo, a Settec Alpha ROM protected game that was working fine in XP error with Vista 64, and guess what, the copy protection was causing the issue.

Speaking of which, i should try that game in Wine too, it should not pose any troubles graphics wise as it's one of those "interactive story" type games, more specifically, it's a dating sim, ya know, with the pretty anime chicks. :P I sometimes like to play that type of games.