PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] YouTube was working fine, now it stutters (other video issues as well)

juelze
July 1st, 2009, 04:10 AM
Ok, so I went from 9.04 back to 8.10 because of graphics problems. Someone on this board suggested I try 9.04 again, but stay away from the fglrx driver (I have an ATI 9800pro btw). Anyway, I did some updates today and it looks like I have some FGLRX stuff that got installed. Needless to say, now video play back sucks. It's slow and just horrible. I really like Ubuntu, but I have a feeling I'm going to have to reinstall 9.04 all over again to get things working like they did before. However, if I do that, how in the world can I prevent myself from getting that fglrx driver installed again?

Man, I really like that Ubuntu is pretty rock solid, but it seems that I trade all the errors, viruses, spyware I get with Windows, for software that needs 100 steps just to get one thing to work. Sorry if I sound frustrated, but 9.04 was treating me right and now I'm having issues. I want to learn Ubuntu through using it day in and day out but it seems linux holds me back from getting more then a months use before all hades breaks loose.

Help!!

ssri
July 1st, 2009, 08:46 AM
This guide might help:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/FglrxInteferesWithRadeonDriver

Basically, the last set of instructions will get rid of any interference fglrx is causing:

sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*

sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

juelze
July 1st, 2009, 03:04 PM
This guide might help:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/FglrxInteferesWithRadeonDriver

Basically, the last set of instructions will get rid of any interference fglrx is causing:

sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*

sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Thank you kindly!!! I'll try this when I get home and see if it works. BTW, will this prevent that fglrx driver from downloading in future updates?

Thanks again!