PDA

View Full Version : why is buntu community so much angry with each other?

rayray
January 21st, 2005, 02:38 PM
now is time for rayray to speak about his most serious concern:

why is ubuntu users treating other ubuntus with angrer and mean attidude this latest weeks?

THIS MUST STOP !!!!!!!

in the begginning i was feeling the most postively and kindness attidudes from the others. NOW --- i don't know why so much hatred and bad will???

anyone?

rayray
January 21st, 2005, 02:44 PM
that is IT. that is LAST STRAW of camel's back - i will not ever to return here.

i receive private message with hatred writing SIX TIMES in latest
recent week.

UBUNTU = HATRED ?

also kanotix works better on rayray's computer which that it is only 125 MHz.

hashimoto
January 21st, 2005, 03:02 PM
Rayray,

I can't comment on the private messages you have received, but it seems quite odd to me and I'm, sorry if such has happened. However, on the forum I have not noticed any hatred at all. On the contrary, this has been the no 1 place of all the ones I have followed. Could you please show me where you find hatred here.

Also remember that we come from different corners of the world with different cultural backgrounds and language skills. What I maybe consider as normal communication may sound hars and unpolite to you, even though I don't mean it that way. So please let's all try to remeber the differences and not get offended easily. I can't believe that any of us intentionally tries to insult or offend others.

BR
Hashimoto

nocturn
January 21st, 2005, 03:08 PM
that is IT. that is LAST STRAW of camel's back - i will not ever to return here.

recent week.

UBUNTU = HATRED ?

Rayray, I am sorry that this happened, I don't know what is in those messages or who sent them, but if they are inappropriate, contact a moderator immediately!

This community is not hostile, but it is open to everyone. If someone entered the forums with bad intentions, it is in all our best interested that that is resolved.

az
January 21st, 2005, 03:28 PM
If everybody always agreed, there would be no change and life would be boring. This is a forum. You are encouraged to share your opinion. If you dissagree with someone, you say it. Otherwise, this would be a read-only forum.

Discussion and differences are healthy for a community.

Often, people get passionate about a topic and things can get pretty heated. There are rules about treating others with respect here. If someone has made inappropriate comments to you, that is quite uncommon and just plain wrong. The fact that they were sent to you in private is all the more awful.

The community is not angry with each other, as you say. If that were the case, the userbase would be decreasing. It seems more and more new users show up here every day.

jwb
January 21st, 2005, 03:33 PM
Which posts did you find offensive rayray? Perhaps if you could assist us by pointing out what offended you, we could assist you better.

Looking at the responses to your posts, I'm not quite sure what has publicly harmed you. Certainly report any insulting private messages to a moderator.

ubuntu-geek
January 21st, 2005, 03:41 PM
Rayray,

Please point out these posts and also private message me the private messages you received. I will look into this issue. Our goal is to provide a friendly forum community .

I look forward to your response.

Rancoras
January 21st, 2005, 03:42 PM
Rayray,

Could you please PM me with your concerns. When you do, make sure you give me specifics so we (the mods and admin) can investigate. By specifics, I mean the user that is allegedly harrassing you, and specific posts where the alleged harrassment occurred.

I apologize for this behavior and you can be assured that it isn't tolerated on this board.

Edit: BAH! ubuntu-geek beat me to it :D PM him instead Rayray, he's the man.

JeffS
January 21st, 2005, 06:39 PM
If everybody always agreed, there would be no change and life would be boring. This is a forum. You are encouraged to share your opinion. If you dissagree with someone, you say it. Otherwise, this would be a read-only forum.

Discussion and differences are healthy for a community.

Often, people get passionate about a topic and things can get pretty heated. There are rules about treating others with respect here. If someone has made inappropriate comments to you, that is quite uncommon and just plain wrong. The fact that they were sent to you in private is all the more awful.

The community is not angry with each other, as you say. If that were the case, the userbase would be decreasing. It seems more and more new users show up here every day.

I was going to chime in with comparing the Ubuntu forums to the MepisLovers forum, for how friendly that forum is compared to this one, and how the Ubuntu forum should get friendlier. However, I've changed my mind on that. While MepisLovers is super, super friendly, it is at a cost of being interesting. All anyone does at that forum is praise Mepis, and there is very little criticism of Mepis, and very little disagreeing about various topics. They are very helpful in solving problems, but the general discussion can get rather boring.

But here at the Ubuntu forums, things are plenty friendly and helpful, and in the general discussion area people are not afraid to disagree and have a heated but fun argument. For me Linux/Open Source is about choice and freedom and lots of options to suit just about anyone's taste. So with this, people will choose their favorite things, and then debate with those who have other favorites, or other opinions related to Ubuntu or Linux or software in general. The debates are fun. :p

That said, if someone sent someone a nasty pm, that person should be alerted to the mods immediately.

poofyhairguy
January 21st, 2005, 09:05 PM

recent week.

UBUNTU = HATRED ?

Man that sucks.......lets not pick up such crap!

I hope rayray comes back and helps us purge the evil-doer.

He might not though....125mhz is way to little for Gnome... and KDE too honestly.

He needs some XFCE love.

az
January 21st, 2005, 09:27 PM
"He needs some XFCE love."

How about IceWM?

jdodson
January 22nd, 2005, 12:06 AM
"He needs some XFCE love."

How about IceWM?

or fluxbox, or enlightenment or.... :mrgreen:

crane
January 22nd, 2005, 12:21 AM
or fluxbox, or enlightenment or.... :mrgreen:

Group Hug :D

8)

jdodson
January 22nd, 2005, 01:05 AM

8)

had not heard of that window manager, will have to try that out when i get home. :mrgreen:

BWF89
January 22nd, 2005, 01:10 AM
I frequent these forums every day and I haven't noticed any hatred...

DJ_Max
January 22nd, 2005, 01:39 AM
I frequent these forums every day and I haven't noticed any hatred...
Ditto to that.....

macewan
January 22nd, 2005, 06:18 PM
8)

mannnn, what the h*ll. stop picking my butt

;)

Buffalo Soldier
January 22nd, 2005, 06:47 PM
Checked the other two post by Rayray. I don't see any reason for anyone to be angry with him.

Ste
January 22nd, 2005, 07:04 PM
I know it's breaking privacy but if Rayray dosn't come back to tell us who sent him the PM's, it is possible to check them throughj going to the database and getting the name of who pmed him.

I reckon this should be last cause but maybe needed as hatred such as this should not be tollerated.

I myslef have never noticed anything bad on these forums, people are always helpful as much as they can be. One of the nicest community spirits around.

jakeslife
January 22nd, 2005, 07:26 PM
I know that when you're just starting out and trying to learn something new, it can be tough when you have specific questions and can't find answers. I'm sure that he has run into impatience, and maybe a little bit of scorn, but I don't see any reason for hatred.

This community is a great one -- even better than Officer.com! :-D

Rancoras
January 22nd, 2005, 09:24 PM
I think we should leave this one alone. He either has left the forum, or is speaking privately to ubuntu-geek. I trust that ubuntu-geek will handle it.

rayray
January 24th, 2005, 04:55 AM
:oops: at this time, rayray has great shame feelings and is sorry to offer apologies to all ubuntus.

in the last week previous - a accident of serioroousness was made at rayray's pharmacy and which caused rayray to have be given wrongful medicines.

for many years now rayray have has to be taking medicine for treating of a condition to his head and thinking. (4 pills each single day!). misteak at dispensary caused some pills for other patient be given to rayray!!

this reason and also possiblely because rayray has been drinking again lately could have been causing bad thinking and confusion for rayray. 8-[

so please accepting most possible apology from rayray to all in forums .. everybone.

(*NOT APOLOGIZING to ubuntus from in this thread that were criticising of rayrays computer . 125MHz IS ENOUGH for KDE to be running)

poofyhairguy
January 24th, 2005, 06:21 AM
(*NOT APOLOGIZING to ubuntus from in this thread that were criticising of rayrays computer . 125MHz IS ENOUGH for KDE to be running)

I didn't not criticize your computer. 125MHZ is a fine amount of power for many things. I assumed your RAM was low as well (64megs or less) and Gnome needs lots of RAM (as does KDE).

XFCE is soooo nice and fast.

az
January 24th, 2005, 02:02 PM
"XFCE is soooo nice and fast."

So is Icewm, fluxbox. enlightenment or GROUP HUG!(?)

TravisNewman
January 24th, 2005, 04:24 PM
I could never get GROUP HUG to install, personally. The installer just kept saying "The installer found an orphaned file that needs to be hugged. Shall I hug it? (Y/n): "

the only problem is that if you select Yes, it doesn't just hug it, it wants to give it warm food and hear it's life story, so the installation could take DAYS.

az
January 24th, 2005, 05:07 PM
"I could never get GROUP HUG to install"

RTFM.

It requires that you be networked to at least two other computers running the app.

It uses port 69.

Rancoras
January 24th, 2005, 06:39 PM
"I could never get GROUP HUG to install"

RTFM.

It requires that you be networked to at least two other computers running the app.

It uses port 69.

OMG that was bad ;)

macewan
January 25th, 2005, 12:16 AM
I could never get GROUP HUG to install, personally. The installer just kept saying "The installer found an orphaned file that needs to be hugged. Shall I hug it? (Y/n): "

check gnome cvs for working version

jdong
January 25th, 2005, 12:29 AM
Enough. Now, you guys are just making fun of rayray.

Rayray, we're sorry about your incident. If there's anything our staff can do to help you, please PM any one of us.

I'm locking this thread , because people are making impolite jokes now.