PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Games and Videos are glitchy when opened

Just-trevor
July 1st, 2009, 12:09 AM
Hello. I just got a brand new computer with an i7 920 processor. It seems like it really should never be slow ever, but whenever I open up Savage 2 or I Wanna Be the Guy (through wine), the CPU usage spikes to around 15 % (normally I can't even see it on the system monitor graph on the panel), and rectangular black lines flash up and down the screen until the game loads, which takes a long time, then it stops. Sometimes it doesn't stop, and the game is reeeaalllyyy slow and the black lines stay there until I log out or shut down the computer. I think it takes longer without compiz enabled and it seems like the chances of it working are slimmer.

My video card is a sapphire radeon hd 4870

Does anyone have any guesses as to what is wrong?

Just-trevor
July 7th, 2009, 01:47 AM
The same thing happens when the system is normal clocked.

There is no escape.

LepeKaname
July 7th, 2009, 02:01 AM
It may be related to wine under Jaunty. In intrepid I was able to run AOM in wine without any problem, but when I upgraded to Jaunty, then my X restart everytime I launch the game (so no more AOM in Jaunty).

Just-trevor
July 8th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Wine programs consistently do that, but movies or linux-native games do the same.

Running firefox through wine makes it all glitchy, too, but it's not just wine.

LepeKaname
July 8th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Running firefox through wine

Why do you want to run firefox through wine?

Wine programs consistently do that, but movies or linux-native games do the same.... but it's not just wine.

What video driver are you using? By any chance you have a ATI chip?

Just-trevor
July 16th, 2009, 05:48 PM
First question - because.
Second - I tried using hardware drivers to install the fglrx driver but that didn't work for some reason so I installed the catalyst driver off the website. The fglrx driver doesn't seem to want to be enabled in hardware drivers. If I try to activate it, it says the driver was just disabled, but is still in use, probably because it is in use. I forget what it said before I installed the catalyst driver of the website, though... I think I'll try reinstalling ubuntu and just starting over...