PDA

View Full Version : RIsk near wireless devices?

Blacklightbulb
June 30th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Is there any risk or damage inflicted by everyday use of wireless communication devices using electromagnetic waves: mobile phones, WIFI, bluetooth, Wireless mouse and keyboard, radio...etc ??

Remember when the mobile phones became popular and people were all talking about risks of cancer due to radiation. The rumor (or whatever it was) died after scientific evidence proved it wrong. Still I don't really trust scientific prove backing a multi billion dollar business. :-#

Then I also remember that as a rule of thumb the shorter the wavelength of a wave the more dangerous it is. So if light waves are shorter than micro/radio waves then does that prove them as harmless?

Also I've heard of people who feel uncomfortable near wireless devices such as routers..etc

Any info is appreciated. Illuminate me.

calrogman
June 30th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Is there any risk or damage inflicted by everyday use of wireless communication devices using electromagnetic waves: mobile phones, WIFI, bluetooth, Wireless mouse and keyboard, radio...etc ??

If their is, it's negligible. Most stories of people getting fatally irradiated from mobile equipment are just that, stories.

Nothing to worry about here.

tom66
June 30th, 2009, 10:07 PM
No.

I wrote an essay on mobile phones & wifi for my Science Year 9 coursework (I got an 'A'). The effects are null, for a number of reasons:

Radiation from mobile phones & wifi is non-ionising, in other words, it can't turn atoms into ions, and can't cause cancerous mutations.
Any heat from mobile phones is momentary.
Wifi routers don't produce much heat, and we're rarely in contact with them. They get pretty warm, but that's it, they don't tend to warm 'us' up.