PDA

View Full Version : best bittorrent client?

insanity99
June 30th, 2009, 07:08 PM
is Utorrent available on linux? if not whats the best alternative

Arup
June 30th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Transmission performs as good as utorrent, just make sure to have the latest by adding their repository.

bekind2thenoob
June 30th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Utorrent seems to be win and mac only.

Transmission (included by default) is a great little torrent client.

Jimmynemo2
June 30th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I'll admit I wasnt a big fan of the Transmission client, but I LOVE deluge, and have grown to like it even more than I liked utorrent. Give it a try, see what you think.

CLomax
June 30th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I second Deluge. More functionality than Transmission.

Astarroth
June 30th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I third Deluge. It is a great client.

cb951303
June 30th, 2009, 07:48 PM
latest transmission has finally DHT capability. i'd say go with transmission. only thing it's missing is queuing capability.

TeoBigusGeekus
June 30th, 2009, 07:56 PM
μtorrent works perfectly with wine (if you disable the tray options).
I used it for quite a long time before I gave a chance to the latest ktorrent version: believe me, it's better than μtorrent.

insanity99
June 30th, 2009, 07:59 PM
thanks for posting guys

zoomy942
June 30th, 2009, 08:04 PM
whats the ppa for transmission?

Jimmynemo2
June 30th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Isnt transmission in ubuntu and the repo's anyway?

cb951303
June 30th, 2009, 09:47 PM
whats the ppa for transmission?

https://launchpad.net/~transmissionbt/+archive/ppa

cb951303
June 30th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Isnt transmission in ubuntu and the repo's anyway?

if you need/want DHT you need PPA

dtoronto
June 30th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I recommend transmission as it does everything I need

Jimmynemo2
June 30th, 2009, 09:48 PM
What is DHT?

rampageoberon
June 30th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I personally like rtorrent, its a lightweight commandline client (ncurses interface) hence allowing easy remote control.

H2SO_four
June 30th, 2009, 09:50 PM
+1 for Deluge

cb951303
June 30th, 2009, 09:50 PM
What is DHT?

it's a torrent extension that lets you exchange data between DHT enabled peers. it doesn't depend on tracker.

Jimmynemo2
June 30th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Good to know- thanks.

Is this something that helps for speed, or for security or both?

zoomy942
June 30th, 2009, 10:34 PM
This may seem like a silly questio, but with that PPA that was posted....what do i do with it?

SunnyRabbiera
June 30th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I suggest ktorrent myself, it will look out of place but it is a good client.

WRDN
June 30th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I use Transmission mainly as it is simple, light on system resources, has a good web interface, and does everything I need of a torrent program.

cb951303
June 30th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Good to know- thanks.

Is this something that helps for speed, or for security or both?

it helps with speed and old torrents with dead trackers :)

piousp
June 30th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Does KTorrent have DHT?

Does Transmission have protocol encryption?

Does Deluge?

cb951303
June 30th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Does KTorrent have DHT?

Does Transmission have protocol encryption?

Does Deluge?

yes, yes and yes

piousp
June 30th, 2009, 10:59 PM
yes, yes and yes

How do i enable them? I use KDE in my main box, so KTorrent for that one, and Transmission for my netbook since it got UNR.

I'm curious about Deluge :KS

cb951303
June 30th, 2009, 11:04 PM
How do i enable them? I use KDE in my main box, so KTorrent for that one, and Transmission for my netbook since it got UNR.

I'm curious about Deluge :KS

If I'm not mistaken DHT and protocol encryption is already enabled in all of them by default. If not go to "Options" menu, I'm sure they are somewhere there :popcorn:

piousp
June 30th, 2009, 11:05 PM
OK! I'll try that as soon as i get home. I'll tell you how it went ;)

credobyte
July 1st, 2009, 12:32 AM
Deluge and 20Mb/s is ~censored~, so .. Transmission is my fav :)

~sHyLoCk~
July 1st, 2009, 12:37 AM
Vuze is the best. Highly configurable and fast download speed

RATM_Owns
July 1st, 2009, 01:02 AM
Deluge.

drawkcab
July 1st, 2009, 03:59 AM
I use both deluge and transmission.

Transmission is ungodly fast, and if I just want to download a file as quickly as possible without much fuss, transmission is the client I use.

Deluge is only a bit slower but it adds increased control over your downloads. If I am downloading many files or a complex file where it is advantageous to have features like utorrent's, then I use deluge.

I say try 'em both out.

blazingbazoooka
July 1st, 2009, 04:38 AM
rtorrent closely followed by deluge

HappyFeet
July 1st, 2009, 04:39 AM
i recommend transmission as it does everything i need

+1

ericab
July 1st, 2009, 04:40 AM
rtorrent is the best.
no doubt

LookTJ
July 1st, 2009, 04:48 AM
rtorrent is the best.
No doubt
+1 :)

pissedoffdude
July 1st, 2009, 05:14 AM

You'll be able to run utorrent just fine if you use wine. However, deluge and transmission are very good alternatives.

papangul
July 1st, 2009, 08:03 AM
I find the features of deluge so useful as if it is tailor-made for me.

azangru
July 1st, 2009, 12:55 PM
Is nobody bothered that with Transmission you can't select only certain files within a torrent to download? At least I couldn't.

colau
July 1st, 2009, 01:20 PM
Deluge!

cb951303
July 1st, 2009, 01:55 PM
Is nobody bothered that with Transmission you can't select only certain files within a torrent to download? At least I couldn't.

it's there. go to the details of the torrent and you'll see.

Warpnow
July 1st, 2009, 02:13 PM
Vuze (Azureus) is the most full featured torrent client I think, whereas Transmission is fast and simple. A nice balance. I used transmission for a while but now prefer Vuze.

Plus, you can use it to find torrents.

azangru
July 1st, 2009, 03:03 PM
it's there. go to the details of the torrent and you'll see.

Oh, OK then, thanks for the hint! :D

drawkcab
July 2nd, 2009, 03:19 AM

that's why I keep deluge installed for more complex tasks, it's almost as fast anyway

Unless you have a 4gb ssd or something, why not keep both installed?

HappyFeet
July 2nd, 2009, 04:43 AM
that's why I keep deluge installed for more complex tasks, it's almost as fast anyway

Unless you have a 4gb ssd or something, why not keep both installed?

What's best for you, is all that matters. Whatever it takes.

Eisenwinter
July 2nd, 2009, 05:39 AM
I prefer to use rTorrent.

-jay-
July 2nd, 2009, 08:13 AM
+1 for Deluge

same here +1

abhilash82
July 2nd, 2009, 09:33 AM
I use Deluge, uTorrent and Vuze for my torrent downloads.

:guitar:

EarthMind
July 3rd, 2009, 09:23 PM
I don't really like Pythons applications because of the memory usage but Deluged is in my eyes the best one. If I had a better machine which 2GB + RAM I'd probably go for Vuze.

Blacklightbulb
July 3rd, 2009, 10:32 PM
I get the maximum possible out of trasmission I dunno but at times it uses 99% of my bandwith (2Mbit/s).
I think that as long as you configure it correctly it works fine.

steeleyuk
July 3rd, 2009, 11:02 PM
Its bound to use all your bandwidth if you leave the default setup. The latest version has a speed limiting feature which allows you to adjust the transfer speeds either manually, or at certain times of the day.

koleoptero
July 4th, 2009, 12:43 AM

I can. Perhaps Transmission doesn't like you. Or your copy of it is too bored to allow file selection.

handyguy
July 4th, 2009, 01:08 AM
does anybody know of a good bittorent client with rss?? Its because like to use rss feeds to automatically get the new episodes of certain shows

evermooingcow
July 4th, 2009, 01:32 AM
rtorrent.

A full featured client that runs in a terminal. How much better can you get especially on a home server.

I can consistently max out my download bandwidth using rotrrent too.

Warpnow
July 5th, 2009, 08:01 PM
does anybody know of a good bittorent client with rss?? Its because like to use rss feeds to automatically get the new episodes of certain shows

There is an RSS button next to every torrent in Vuze, click it to subscribe.

trailofdead
July 11th, 2009, 12:27 AM
if i use transmission with blocklists do i need to use moblock too?

starcannon
July 11th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Transmission:

It tells you everything you need to know
It tells you a buttload of stuff you don't need to know
It downloads torrents
It lets you download a single file in a torrent
It lets you set the importance of a single file in a torrent
It lets you set speed limits per torrent or globally
It is installed by default on Ubuntu
It works

Eviltechie
July 11th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Deluge. It can be run as a dameion with a web only interface (with all the features unlike transmissions web interface)

cb951303
July 11th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Transmission:

It tells you everything you need to know
It tells you a buttload of stuff you don't need to know
It downloads torrents
It lets you download a single file in a torrent
It lets you set the importance of a single file in a torrent
It lets you set speed limits per torrent or globally
It is installed by default on Ubuntu
It works

and yet it can't queue torrents. probably the simplest and most important thing :)

stimpack
July 11th, 2009, 10:11 AM
The best as in most features? then Vuse(Azureus) or uTorrent. KTorrent has a plugin system with cool things like web interface but is 2nd tier feature wise to Vuse. The rest are 3rd tier at best.

If not best in terms of features its harder to quantify, and you will have to make do with subjective personal opinions.

moster
July 11th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Only, Transmission cannot to the UDP trackers. When they fix that it will be at same level as deluge, qbittorrent, ktorrent and most of them.. I think it is only practical difference that affect speed.

edit:
I am impressed with Ktorrent, almost powerful as azureus but it is not written in java.

starcannon
July 12th, 2009, 12:01 AM
and yet it can't queue torrents. probably the simplest and most important thing :)
Yeah, but you can pause them, so it still gets the job done. I don't mind much since my torrent use is minimal. I spose it depends on what your trying to take care of as to which client is best. I used azureus for quite a while myself, but when it went to vuze I dumped it; tried transmission and have been quite pleased for my own needs with that. I hope they do add some of the features that are considered essential, and don't bloat it up with media players, chat, and other junk like vuze did.

Yvan300
July 12th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Go for deluge, best torrent app imao

siimo
July 12th, 2009, 01:27 AM
I use Vuze. It maxes out my speed on almost every torrent I have downloaded. Used to use Deluge before it wasn't too bad but was a bit slower in terms of download speed.

cb951303
July 12th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Yeah, but you can pause them, so it still gets the job done. I don't mind much since my torrent use is minimal. I spose it depends on what your trying to take care of as to which client is best. I used azureus for quite a while myself, but when it went to vuze I dumped it; tried transmission and have been quite pleased for my own needs with that. I hope they do add some of the features that are considered essential, and don't bloat it up with media players, chat, and other junk like vuze did.

but pausing is not the same thing. I want to be able to open a few torrents and download them one by one even if I'm not in front of the computer.

hibliss
July 13th, 2009, 06:10 PM
There is no BEST client. As long as it follows the protocol (they all do) and you like it, it is good.

I use rtorrent. I have tried ktorrent, Transmission, and Deluge. I prefer ktorrent for a GUI based client, but it is a bit heavy, which is why I switched to rtorrent.

Transmission is nice, but seems to stall torrents for no apparent reason at times, which got annoying.

rdmike
August 12th, 2009, 04:35 AM

Nor will it work well with private tracker communities; it always shows you as "not connectable."

Eviltechie
August 12th, 2009, 05:32 AM
+1 For deluge. It can be run as a damion with a webui so you can put it on a server somewhere.

EarthMind
March 20th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Vuze Rocks! Its extreme customizability is awesome, but which unfortunately also adds complexity.

phibxr
March 20th, 2010, 05:29 PM

I have always preferred rtorrent, which happens to be a console client.

If you want something similar to uTorrent, I would most likely have to point you in the direction of Transmission too.

clakes
January 1st, 2011, 10:28 AM
I have always preferred rtorrent, which happens to be a console client.

If you want something similar to uTorrent, I would most likely have to point you in the direction of Transmission too.

+1
Transmission is my choice on the Mac side, but hey... rTorrent is so light and... console fun! =P

Sef
January 1st, 2011, 12:00 PM
Locked. Necromancing.