PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Different every time I install. Why is that?

brawd
June 30th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Hi All,

Over the last couple of months I've tried to settle into actually understanding (some of) Ubuntu.
This means I've installed software, such as suitable packages so my wife can print her pictures easily, such as gThumb which she finds easier than Gimp, and games for my grandson, 32 bit and 64 bit versions, server versions etc, etc...

I even try to install hardware devices like my phone, again I have to try several packages before getting one that seems to work fine. Currently the webcam only gives me bright washed out screens, but I'll work on that. I've tried servers, just so I know for myself that they require heaps of background knowledge.

I dread to think what this would cost if I used a popular(?) alternative to Linux.

Anyway the point is that over the last couple of weeks I've installed Ubuntu 8.04 64 bit several times - sorry for using bandwidth to update - and each time it seems that my computer works differently each time. It runs faster, it runs slower, it loads the webcam, it doesn't load the webcam, it nearly loads the webcam etc, etc...

Why is this? Do others get this?

Having said that I will confirm that Ubuntu in any form is more stable and user friendly on my computers than any other OS, and I've tried a few.

regards,

brawd.

dtoronto
June 30th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I assume that you're installing it on different machines, no? If this is the case Ubuntu is searching for the drivers to work on your machine, eg webcam or not. It also probably depends on the hardware you are running AMD, Intell and the board build. Anyway just a little food for thought.

brawd
June 30th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Not different machines, the same machine each time.
AMD Athon X2
2 GB ram
Same Sata harddrive.

Nothing changes.

This installation it's running 'slow'.

But that's still much faster than XP or (spit) Vista.

brawd