PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wont read DVD

unknownjason
June 30th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Howdy, When I put in a DVD-R with pictures on it the disk folder opens up but there is nothing in it. I had to use my windows through virtual box in order to get the pictures off the disk. Also when I put a DVD movie in I get this error: Could not open location; you might not have permission to open the file. Please help. Thanks.

73ckn797
June 30th, 2009, 08:43 PM
You may want to go here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu and install the repositories for Medibuntu. Follow the instruction on the link and you ought to be able to view DVD's.

unknownjason
June 30th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I addded the Repositories and installed libdvdcss but I'm still unable to get the pictures of the DVD-R and when I put in a movie it only plays the FBI warning, nothing else is there. What do you think?

73ckn797
June 30th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Did you restart the system. That can sometimes be a problem. Otherwise you may need to read some of the sticky notes in the Multimedia-Video section. You may find an answer there.

I have not encountered the problem.

unknownjason
July 1st, 2009, 12:01 AM
Attempted a restart. No help. I've been, and will keep looking, but no luck yet. Anyone else able to help?

jerome1232
July 1st, 2009, 12:20 AM
For watching dvd movies I would try another media player like vlc, totem gets screwy with menu's and such sometimes.

unknownjason
July 1st, 2009, 12:23 AM
That may help the DVD movie problem. But for me the bigger problem is not being able to read data DVD-R's.

unknownjason
July 1st, 2009, 04:09 PM
bump.

halitech
July 1st, 2009, 04:19 PM
are you closing the dvds after putting the pictures on them? were they burned under windows or Linux?

unknownjason
July 1st, 2009, 04:35 PM
I dont know what closing the DVD means. But it was burned on a Windows system. Is that the problem? Is that fixable?

halitech
July 1st, 2009, 04:40 PM
closing means to finalize the disk so no further writting is possible. Some versions of windows will leave it open but can still read it because it does things in a funky manner that prevents anything other then windows to read it. What version of windows burned the dvd?

unknownjason
July 1st, 2009, 04:50 PM
It was burned on Vista. I was able to read it on an XP.

halitech
July 1st, 2009, 04:52 PM
that could be why. If you have virtualbox installed (I think I read that you did) then you could copy the stuff off in windows, transfer it to Ubuntu and reburn the cd.

unknownjason
July 1st, 2009, 05:01 PM
What about the problem of playing movies?

halitech
July 1st, 2009, 05:03 PM
have you tried vlc? I know totem and mplayer and others are supposed to play them but I've only had luck with vlc

unknownjason
July 1st, 2009, 05:20 PM
Yea, vlc works. Thanks.