PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No video at all

user_cero
June 30th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I just installed jaunty on an old desktop. This desktop is running on a celeron processor. The graphics are integrated. The problem is that i have no video at all.

At first i tried to install jaunty with the regular CD but i got no video even though everything ran fine i couldn't see the installation menu but i could switch to command line. So I downloaded the alternate ISO to install it and i ran just fine. When the installation was done i get the CD out as ordered and wait but the login window didn't show up after the loading. I switched to console and it was on all right. Any ideas how to get the video?

fooman
June 30th, 2009, 05:59 PM
what kind of graphics are onboard? ...ati? nvidia? intel?

have you tried the "xfix" option in the recovery mode?

try rebooting and when you see the grub screen, choose recovery mode. when it finishes loading...try xfix.

hope it helps.

user_cero
June 30th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I'm not sure what kind of graphics are onboard... i just know the graphics are integrated, the south bridge is VIA.

I don't see any options when the grub is loading it automatically loads ubuntu. Is 'xfix' a command?

EDIT:

I got it the board is an MSI MS 7095. It says the video is an "S3 Graphics ProSavage8 Integrated Graphics core upto 32MB." http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=p4mam2-v