PDA

View Full Version : LOL Spam FAIL

PhilMize
June 30th, 2009, 05:49 PM
LOL! So today I came and sat down on my desktop and to my surprise I had received one of those spam instant messages on my Skype. You know the usual stuff where its like some random girl saying shes so horny and wants to have sex right now if you just follow the link to her home page. That kinda ********. Well, this one made me laugh. It simply says this:

[09:09:41] Online Repair: WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION
=============================

ATTENTION ! Security Center has detected
malware on your computer !

Affected Software:

Microsoft Windows Vista
Microsoft Windows XP
Microsoft Windows 2000
Microsoft Windows Server 2003

Impact of Vulnerability: Remote Code Execution / Virus Infection /
Unexpected shutdowns

Recommendation: Users running vulnerable version should install a repair utility immediately

Your system IS affected, download the patch from the address below !
Failure to do so may result in severe computer malfunction.

http://www.onlinerepair.org/

For the link to become active, please click on ‘Add to contacts’ skype button or type it in manually into your web browser !

I run Linux Mint on all my computers. Here’s a screenshot:

Redache
June 30th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I just had a 411 on Linux.Com. I've never had a Spam Private Message Before.

It's sad to think that the Scam you mentioned probably works a lot of the time. It's like that Vius that makes the Control Panel vanish and comes up with "Your Computer is Infected, Get this Software" etc.

Not nice.

jelle_
June 30th, 2009, 06:08 PM
i just visited the site. It says i have 3 win32 backdoors and a troyan :lolflag:

Sand & Mercury
June 30th, 2009, 06:13 PM
WTF? It seems this site actually DID give me a virus. It's deleting my / directory as I type this... what do I do???

nowin4me
June 30th, 2009, 07:03 PM
WTF? It seems this site actually DID give me a virus. It's deleting my / directory as I type this... what do I do???

QUICK Install Linux! On a serious note I don't know what you should do. Probably stop it some how. Is there an "x" button you can press?

The Toxic Mite
June 30th, 2009, 07:06 PM

You got to be kidding... :/

Imagine if that kind of website "scanned" Linux files, then they ask you to download software which, in fact, runs sudo rm -rf /, thereby deleting your system... :shock:

PhilMize
June 30th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Hmmm... I'm thinking about Virtual Boxing XP and then following the link with a network traffic monitor open... Should be interesting!

The Toxic Mite: LOL! that would be like the ultimate slap in the face to our smart asses! I can see it now: "Muahahaha!!! *clicks link* YOU CANNOT EFFECT ME MERE VIRUS MORTAL!...[long pause]...O SH*T! WTF WTF WTF NOT POSSIBLE!! *whiny voice* OOO MANN WTH MY LINUX SYSTEM IS CRASHED!"

schauerlich
June 30th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Is there a reason you didn't crop the screenshot or make it an attachment?

Eisenwinter
June 30th, 2009, 07:26 PM
is there a reason you didn't crop the screenshot or make it an attachment?
+1

Joeb454
June 30th, 2009, 07:27 PM

Imagine if that kind of website "scanned" Linux files, then they ask you to download software which, in fact, runs sudo rm -rf /, thereby deleting your system... :shock:

sudo would ask for your password anyway, so unless you decided to put it in just because you were asked, it wouldn't really do a lot

monsterstack
June 30th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I don't like the way Mint disables virtual desktops by default. I can't live without four of the damn things.

Sand & Mercury
June 30th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Yeah, I was kidding. :D

gchand7
June 30th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Will "sudo rm -rf/" really erase your system?

swoll1980
June 30th, 2009, 08:18 PM

No, but if you put a space between -rf and / it would. It translates into "remove every thing in my / (system) directory recursively, and yes I know it's bad, but do it anyways."

PhilMize
June 30th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I don't like the way Mint disables virtual desktops by default. I can't live without four of the damn things.

Lies, they are still there theres just not a workspace switcher on the taskbar showing which desktop your on.

.Maleficus.
June 30th, 2009, 09:09 PM
No, it will not, that is a common misconception. Here's a good post about it (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6843323&postcount=24) and here's the original thread. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1087562) By default "--preserve-root" is assumed and SELinux will not let it. If you start to specify folders within / it will erase those.

walkerk
June 30th, 2009, 09:16 PM
i just visited the site. It says i have 3 win32 backdoors and a troyan :lolflag:

I couldn't help myself either. Too funny :)

TBOL3
June 30th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Who needs sudo?

just rm -rf ~/ would be bad enough for me.

Blacklightbulb
June 30th, 2009, 09:32 PM
It happened to me more than once. You know those sites with a pop up identical to My Computer in Xp with the loading bar and everything. :lolflag:

.Maleficus.
June 30th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Who needs sudo?

"rm -rf ~/" is not the same as "sudo rm -rf /". The first would delete everything under your user's directory while the latter (if it actually worked, which it doesn't) would delete everything under the root directory. The first command doesn't render you system useless, it just deletes files and folders you should have backed up ;).

FuturePilot
June 30th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Who needs sudo?

"rm -rf ~/" is not the same as "sudo rm -rf /". The first would delete everything under your user's directory while the latter (if it actually worked, which it doesn't) would delete everything under the root directory. The first command doesn't render you system useless, it just deletes files and folders you should have backed up ;).

TBOL3 has a point though. So what, your system gets hosed, you just reinstall it. If your /home gets hosed and you don't have backups, you can't get that data back. IMO your personal data is of more value than system files.

.Maleficus.
June 30th, 2009, 10:17 PM
TBOL3 has a point though. So what, your system gets hosed, you just reinstall it. If your /home gets hosed and you don't have backups, you can't get that data back. IMO your personal data is of more value than system files.
That's why I said it deletes files you should have backed up. And "sudo rm -rf /" would encompass a user's /home directory anyways, so it's a moot point.