PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 3rd Time Upgrade Failure

Z3r0t0l0rEnCe
June 30th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Well I don't know what to do! I've done the upgrade part through the update manger three separate times and every time I upgrade the install crashes! All I get is a black screen with a bunch of numbers that what I can tell is bad sectors on my hard drive. I'm downloading the Jaunty version now to do the install via disk. Any thoughts to what I can do to fix this issue if I choose to upgrade to newer versions? My only thought is the HDD needs to be defraged...or am I wrong? Please I need some real help with this as I can't afford a new HDD right now if that my prob!

merlinus
June 30th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Checksum your .iso, burn at no more than 4x, and check the cd for errors at the opening menu. Then choose try without changing anything to see if there are any hardware or other problems.

FWIW, installing the new version is almost always better than upgrading.

philcamlin
June 30th, 2009, 06:07 PM
yeah ive never had luck upgrading wither

i always install a new one each time :)

less problems :D :popcorn:

check for bad disk when you insert it on the menu where it asks to install etc

Z3r0t0l0rEnCe
June 30th, 2009, 11:52 PM
it wasn't the burn or the CD. It was performing the upgrade thats offered when you need to update Ubuntu. Thats when I get the errors of bad sectors with sum #'s meaning that its the hdd after the upgrade is made to 9.04. So my question is what can I do to fix these bad sectors while using Ubuntu?