PDA

View Full Version : Do you use WinXP inside a virtual machine on your Linux desktop?

Ascenti0n
June 30th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Do you use WinXP inside a virtual machine on your Linux desktop?

I just wonder if there are issues that would suggest dual-booting is still the best option to run a few windows Apps, ie speed, stability, limitations, security?

(please don't bring wine into the conversation - it's not wanted)

I appreciate the views of anyone who uses WinXP on their Linux desktop, on what they think.

Paqman
June 30th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Tbh, I do both: I have an XP VM and I dual-boot.

The VM is there to run an app I need for my OU studies. Using a VM allows me to open it in Virtualbox's "seamless mode" so I can use it as part of my regular desktop.

The dual-boot copy of XP is there purely for games.

Swagman
June 30th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Yup

Here ya go (http://www.upload3r.com/serve/300609/1246375230.jpeg)

Better not [ img ] it as it's big

That XP in VirtualBox running Word 2007 with Photoshop CS2 running in wine

enlli
June 30th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I use it for TomTom Home and iTunes - nothing else.

Apart from having to keep an eye on the USB conection when I recently updated my iPhone software it runs fine.

For the few time I use XP I decided it was not worth having dual boot

zoomy942
June 30th, 2009, 04:57 PM
alomst everything can be done using a VM. can you post some specfic apps you are curious about?

binbash
June 30th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I both use dual booth + winxp via virtual machine.If you are not gonna play games virtual machine is better

Ascenti0n
June 30th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I don't want XP for games, I'm more interested in Quickbooks and Sony Vegas video editing.

dtoronto
June 30th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I run a VM and a dual boot. I run my VM's through VMware server although I have heard a lot about Virtual Box as it is Open Source and getting better.

uconvert
June 30th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I Dual-booted for two years, then when Intrepid came out I decided to run XP using VirtualBox. I needed XP for Bibleworks 7 and also wanted to use the Zinio Reader and Adobe Digital Editions Reader. Zinio has an issue in VB, it works, but requires more video memory than VB is capable of for the special page turning effect.

dspari1
June 30th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I use it solely for Office 2007.

zoomy942
June 30th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I use it solely for Office 2007.

might i recommend crossover linux? i use it and it's been great

Gizenshya
June 30th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I have XP on another hard drive. Windows runs windows programs best, especially my games.

blackxored
June 30th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Well, I have a Windows Vista VM for ocassional research. Besides that, nevermind.

Pogeymanz
June 30th, 2009, 07:48 PM
For video editing, it's probably best to just dual-boot. The performance hit from being in a VM is not worth it.

Ascenti0n
June 30th, 2009, 08:30 PM
For video editing, it's probably best to just dual-boot. The performance hit from being in a VM is not worth it.

Yes, that's something I was concerned about too. The only reason I was looking at a VM solution was for convenience, as Windows is a bit of a dog when it comes to boot-up and shutdown times, especially when compared to Ubuntu 9.04

Matthewthegreat
July 1st, 2009, 12:18 AM
I use a VM for Sony Vegas, itunes, and the occasional app the won't work in wine. It works great for me! I also have vista in a duel-boot but most of my games run in wine so I haven't booted in to it since about month or so ago. I use my XP VM more then vista, I'm too lazy to reboot :)

Potters Son
July 1st, 2009, 01:46 AM
I dual boot between Ubuntu and Vista... while I've gotten used to OpenOffice.org, I'm still waiting on Google Sketchup (I doubt a native port would work on my linux installation anyways... the Intel Graphics driver is not as good as in Windows).

I also keep a "Pet Windows" image, bootable through QEMU (I tried installing VMware server awhile ago, but that stalled due to complications). The primary thing I use it for are accessing websites that require IE7 and up, like online Exchange mail server access. Yeah, you can log onto them from FF, but only in a simple, HTML view. Instead, I redirect all my mail from Exchange servers to Gmail.

xenogia
July 1st, 2009, 02:03 AM
I use an XP VM in Ubuntu 9.04 purely for developing an adventure game using the AGS engine. The IDE for this engine needs Net Framework 2.0 and doesn't run well under wine. Though the engine itself is flawless. But that is about it really :)

zoomy942
July 1st, 2009, 03:48 AM
I dual boot between Ubuntu and Vista... while I've gotten used to OpenOffice.org, I'm still waiting on Google Sketchup (I doubt a native port would work on my linux installation anyways... the Intel Graphics driver is not as good as in Windows).

I also keep a "Pet Windows" image, bootable through QEMU (I tried installing VMware server awhile ago, but that stalled due to complications). The primary thing I use it for are accessing websites that require IE7 and up, like online Exchange mail server access. Yeah, you can log onto them from FF, but only in a simple, HTML view. Instead, I redirect all my mail from Exchange servers to Gmail.

i have IE8 installed on Crossover and it's working great.

thisllub
July 1st, 2009, 04:06 AM
might i recommend crossover linux? i use it and it's been great

Unnecessary for Office2007.

I sort of followed this guide.
Office 2007 works with the newest Wine.
I had to have few goes at it to get it right.
Registering the product is the hardest part.

http://samanathon.com/how-to-install-microsoft-office-2007-in-ubuntu-9-04/

swoll1980
July 1st, 2009, 04:24 AM
I have a dual boot. I run xp in vmware for the magicjack.

mamamia88
July 1st, 2009, 04:26 AM
absolutely no windows on my machine might change when windows 7 comes out

steveneddy
July 1st, 2009, 04:29 AM
Do you use WinXP inside a virtual machine on your Linux desktop?

Not at this time but I would like to.

There are times when I need Windows and don't have it anywhere.

I have run XP in VM before and really like it.

I think Virtualbox is the best application for VMing anything IMHO.

gymophett
July 1st, 2009, 04:37 AM
I have 3GB or ram and use TinyXP. TinyXP is a free cracked version of Windows XP with all the drivers preinstalled. I run it in seamless mode in Ubuntu, and sync my Zune, etc with it. :) I donated 512MB of my ram to it when im using it, and it really doesn't even slow my computer down.

zoomy942
July 1st, 2009, 04:38 AM
absolutely no windows on my machine might change when windows 7 comes out

read this before you do :)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1200677

zoomy942
July 1st, 2009, 04:41 AM
I have 3GB or ram and use TinyXP. TinyXP is a free cracked version of Windows XP with all the drivers preinstalled. I run it in seamless mode in Ubuntu, and sync my Zune, etc with it. :) I donated 512MB of my ram to it when im using it, and it really doesn't even slow my computer down.

what is this TinyXP you speak of?

swoll1980
July 1st, 2009, 04:42 AM
what is this TinyXP you speak of?

It's a pirated, striped down, and cracked, version of Microsoft Windows XP

Jesus_Valdez
July 1st, 2009, 06:32 AM
Yes, Why? I'm not sure, i was bored and install it, maybe someday i9ll use it to sync an ipod or something.