PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Printer

Jedimaster007
June 30th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I've heard all sorts of horror stories about trying to get printers working with Linux and wondered if anyone could recommend a simple desk-jet printer that is easy to set up with Ubuntu (9.04). All its got to do is print but scanning etc.. would be good.

Is there a 'prefered' brand of printer that is linux-friendly?

Findarato
June 30th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Hello there.

To be frank, I have never had a problem with ANY of my printers on Ubuntu, they all seemed to work out of the box. I have used an HP, then a Canon and now a Brother.

If you want scanning enabled, you should take a look at the following website to see if a device is or is not supported:
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html

Mornedhel
June 30th, 2009, 10:48 AM
HP traditionally has good compatibility. I have a Photosmart C3100 "El Cheapo". It's on the lower end but it does do scanning.

superprash2003
June 30th, 2009, 05:27 PM
yea , a HP would be the best option

Zzl1xndd
June 30th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I would also agree with HP. Everyone I have tried so far works.

fooman
June 30th, 2009, 05:53 PM
yeah HP is the way to go.

if your looking for a wireless solution...i picked up this one a few months ago during a good sale at staples. i never even had to hook it up via usb, it was configured to my 5 ubuntu machines completely without cables and with very little effort at all.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/printer/all-in-one/1/storefronts/CD028A%2523ABA

printing and scanning worked out of box. :p

Arup
June 30th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Just stay away from Canon and Lexmark, thats all, you will be safe with Epson and HP.

The Cog
June 30th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I plugged my HP into the USB, switched it on, and maybe 30 seconds later a little window popped up that said my HP deskjet was ready for printing. Not very traumatic at all, although I did have go System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager and tell it to install hplip-gui before I could view the ink levels.

For scanning, I normally launch GIMP image editor and choose File->Create->XSane - not the most obvious way to get to scan an image if you don't know it.

Mornedhel
June 30th, 2009, 09:17 PM
For scanning, I normally launch GIMP image editor and choose File->Create->XSane - not the most obvious way to get to scan an image if you don't know it.

Isn't there a standalone XSane interface in Applications/Graphics usually ?

The Cog
July 1st, 2009, 12:06 AM
Isn't there a standalone XSane interface in Applications/Graphics usually ?

There is. But I usually want to tweak the scan before I save it.