PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nothing in Hardware Drivers

Number6
June 30th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I'd like to to install the proprietary ATI drivers on my system but when I go to System->Administration->Hardware Drivers, it does a small search then brings up a dialog saying "No proprietary drivers in use on this system" and 2 empty boxes. Isn't the proprietary driver supposed to appear in the box so I can select it and press enable?

masux594
June 30th, 2009, 10:48 AM
First of all.. What is your graphic card model?

Sysc, A

mcduck
June 30th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I'd like to to install the proprietary ATI drivers on my system but when I go to System->Administration->Hardware Drivers, it does a small search then brings up a dialog saying "No proprietary drivers in use on this system" and 2 empty boxes. Isn't the proprietary driver supposed to appear in the box so I can select it and press enable?

In case you have older Ati card, Ati/AMD decided to drop support for all older cards in their proprietary drivers.

..and when talking about older, this means pretty much everything apart from latest models in Radeon HD-series (cards with R600 or later GPU).

For the rest, the open source driver seems to work reasonably well. At least my X1600 runs eve better than it used to with the restricted driver, now I can actually use suspend and play video without problems. :D

Number6
July 21st, 2009, 10:51 PM
OK Thanks guys, yes it's a fairly old card X850, I just wanted to see if the proprietary driver would perform better. The free one is great just I was trying to get some games working in Wine and they were getting like 1 frame a second on old games like System Shock 2 (Which should work fine according to Wine's website)