PDA

View Full Version : [kde] Kde 4 Slow (9.04)

jure1873
June 30th, 2009, 07:45 AM
I recently upgraded from kubuntu 8.04 to 8.10 and then to 9.04 and now I have KDE 4.2.2 and everything is soooo slow.

I just switched to gnome because of this (firefox and thunderbird are gtk apps anyway). The problem is that I also use krusader and digikam a lot and they are still slow. What could be wrong?

Unfortunately kde 3.5's repository is down. Do you think this can be fixed somehow or is it better if I compile kde 3.5 from sources?

RJARRRPCGP
July 1st, 2009, 06:06 AM
I dunno. Because KDE is slow for me, too, even with another distro and PCBSD.

aged hippy
July 1st, 2009, 06:49 AM
Open a terminal and run top - that will show you what is hogging your resources. :)

RJARRRPCGP
July 6th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I dunno what the problem is, but KDE is slow when my hardware exceeds the minimum requirements! And I also made sure to use the Nvidia proprietary driver.

Even when I tested with at least a 2.1 Ghz processor, it feels like it's only a Pentium I 133 Mhz LOL.

ssri
July 6th, 2009, 11:55 PM
You might have to switching your rendering from opengl to xrender. I heard that uses your video card's graphics acceleration to render things fast. If direct rendering is not enabled, that might explain why the draw times are laggy.

RJARRRPCGP
July 7th, 2009, 03:35 AM
If direct rendering is not enabled, that might explain why the draw times are laggy.

Direct rendering was on. And I made sure, because I game.

Khrimzunn
July 7th, 2009, 04:02 AM
I've noticed the slow performance of KDE while I was on vbox, I haven't tried it fully installed on my desktop yet.
Also how can you check if direct rendering is on? (Sorry but I was wondering.)

ssri
July 7th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I've noticed the slow performance of KDE while I was on vbox, I haven't tried it fully installed on my desktop yet.
Also how can you check if direct rendering is on? (Sorry but I was wondering.)

~$glxinfo | grep direct