PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu is not coming up!

aminj
June 30th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Hi,

It is a while I'm using Ubuntu (as you know, it does not mean I'm an expert!!) Yesterday I installed a couple of packages and then restart the computer and Ubuntu never comes up again! In the system checking part before initiating the graphical part every thing is [OK], once the graphic part starts it shows some vertical colored lines and then HANG! you can not press any key or move the curser. nothing! I can go to the recovery. I tried to fix the problem there but I did not have any idea how! Can someone please help me NOWW? :(

THANKS,
Amin

Paqman
June 30th, 2009, 07:38 AM
What exactly did you install?

Can you boot up into recovery mode and uninstall the things you installed? Use:

apt-get remove packagename

from the root shell prompt that you'll get in recovery mode.

aminj
June 30th, 2009, 07:47 AM
The problem is I installed like 100 packages that I do not even remember what they was! is there anyway to somehow clean up the graphical booting configuration?

Paqman
June 30th, 2009, 07:49 AM
The problem is I installed like 100 packages that I do not even remember what they was! is there anyway to somehow clean up the graphical booting configuration?

Without knowing what changes you made, it's pretty hard to recommend an effective solution.

You could try:

xfix

from the recovery mode, but it's a bit of a stab in the dark.

aminj
June 30th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I tried it. It didn't work! :(

Tyke91
June 30th, 2009, 12:21 PM
hm

try typing
xorgconfig and answering the questions that come up. Make sure to tell it to save to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

if it doesn't save there by default, rememeber where it DID save, then type in the terminal
mv /location/of/the/file/and/its/name /etc/X11/xorg.conf
other than that, we can't help you unless you give us more information.