PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mesk...?

AlwaysBenji
June 30th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Hello Friends,

I have been running EasyPeasy on my Asus EeePC for about 5 weeks and it's working perfectly. However, I have not been able to find a multimedia player that suits my needs and wants nearly as much as Foobar which I used on the Windoze platform. I am using Quod Libet and while it is a very nice little player, I really want tabbed browsing. So a week ago I found Mesk, which to my knowledge has not been updated since 2007, but which has tabbed browsing like Foobar.

The problem is the dependencies. Every time I "./configure" it tells me that a dependency is missing so I try to rectify it and get a little further into the process the next time where it seems to inevitably hit another dependency brick wall :(

This is what I am getting atm, keeping in mind I am pretty new to Linux...

"checking if /usr/bin/python is version >= 2.4... yes
checking for pygtk... yes
checking for librsvg... yes
checking for gstpython... configure: error: Package requirements (gst-python-0.10 >= 0.10.3) were not met:

Package gstreamer-0.10 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gstreamer-0.10.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
Package 'gstreamer-0.10', required by 'gst-python', not found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables gstpython_CFLAGS
and gstpython_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details."

Any assitance would be greatly appreciated :D

pelle.k
August 16th, 2009, 07:50 AM
If only i had seen this sooner. Getdeb.net used to host mesk for ubuntu. Dont know why they removed it though...
Anyways, i used to build mesk for myself, and i have still got it lying around. If it's too late than maybe someone else have a use for it.
Mesk is probably one of the best media players out there, if you're interested in a stright forward media player (like winamp) without a database/library funtion. I did send travis (the author) an email asking if he would consider updating it, but unfortunately i never did get an answer.
I'm working on something similar, though. I'll let you know if i ever get it done.

AlwaysBenji
August 26th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Thankyou so much! I only checked this thread just now to see your response and upload. I got Mesk working straight away! Unfortunately, a lot of the functionality, such as the ability to browse through folders in a "tree" structure is not the same as Foobar but it is still good. I feel that a cross between Mesk, Foobar and Quod Libet would be the perfect media player for my needs, Quod Libet is doing nicely at the moment though :)

Thanks Pelle and BTW, assuming you are from Sverige, your country is very beautiful. :D

pelle.k
August 26th, 2009, 02:58 PM
a lot of the functionality, such as the ability to browse through folders in a "tree" structure is not the same as Foobar but it is still good.Then you should try decibel-audio-player out. It's not better than mesk/foobar but it does broswe folders in a tree structure.

Thanks Pelle and BTW, assuming you are from Sverige, your country is very beautiful. Your welcome :) I guess sweden is beautiful, although i've seen some pretty stunning photographs from the national parks in the US/Canada, and i also love coral reefs and deep blue seas (hawaii and also the caribbean comes to mind), so we dont have a monopoly on that. hehe. Jungles are nice too, but i dont like snakes and spiders that much. :)