PDA

View Full Version : The Potty Patch? Really? No... Really?

swoll1980
June 30th, 2009, 03:43 AM
I just saw an ad on TV (pottypatch.com/ver10/index.asp), for a piece of lawn that you keep in your house for your dog to poop on! Seriously? This has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

lovinglinux
June 30th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Well, my cat loved those artificial sandboxes with hygienic peebles, why not make grassboxes for dogs? :)

Giant Speck
June 30th, 2009, 05:25 AM
I'd rather have my dog crapping on a piece of lawn than on anything else in my house.

Grant A.
June 30th, 2009, 06:17 AM
This isn't really as uncommon as you think. I used puppy potty training pads when I was housebreaking my morkie.

Of course, after a month of him not peeing in the house, we stopped and let him poop and pee outside.

swoll1980
June 30th, 2009, 08:07 PM
This isn't really as uncommon as you think. I used puppy potty training pads when I was housebreaking my morkie.

Of course, after a month of him not peeing in the house, we stopped and let him poop and pee outside.

The training pads I can understand, but this thing is supposed to a substitute for taking your dog outside. I think it's pretty disgusting. I had my dog house broken in like 5 days, so I would say this thing is pretty unnecessary.

slickflick
June 30th, 2009, 08:24 PM
sounds like genius to me

swoll1980
July 1st, 2009, 05:44 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority of people that think having a dog poop in my house is pretty groady.

doas777
July 1st, 2009, 05:50 PM
it's probably made for the rodents that they (incorrectly) call small dogs. after you can't let them out, or they'll get stepped on or eaten by an actual canine. afterall Paris doesn't want her rat to poop in her handbag, and it;s not like she can be bothered to walk it...

Grant A.
July 1st, 2009, 07:56 PM
it's probably made for the rodents that they (incorrectly) call small dogs. after you can't let them out, or they'll get stepped on or eaten by an actual canine. afterall Paris doesn't want her rat to poop in her handbag, and it;s not like she can be bothered to walk it...

It might be good for small dogs, as some dangers do exist for small dogs when they go outside.

Some small dogs fall in pools, and because of their short legs, they can't swim very far. I taught my 13 lbs. Morkie how to swim to the stairs in the pool, to avoid drowning, but his 4 lbs. brother can't swim worth a crap, no matter how hard I try to train him. Also, some small dogs have been known to be snatched by birds of prey if their owner isn't in the backyard with them.

swoll1980
July 1st, 2009, 08:02 PM
Also, some small dogs have been known to be snatched by birds of prey if their owner isn't in the backyard with them.

Sometimes I see Turkey Vultures (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey_Vulture) (they're huge) Flying around outside my house. It would be Freakin' sweet if that thing swooped down, and snatched up my neighbors yorky. I hate that dog so much. It just barks all day, and night.

Giant Speck
July 1st, 2009, 08:04 PM
It might be good for small dogs, as some dangers do exist for small dogs when they go outside.

Some small dogs fall in pools, and because of their short legs, they can't swim very far. I taught my 13 lbs. Morkie how to swim to the stairs in the pool, to avoid drowning, but his 4 lbs. brother can't swim worth a crap, no matter how hard I try to train him. Also, some small dogs have been known to be snatched by birds of prey if their owner isn't in the backyard with them.

It's really no different than teaching a small dog to use a litter box just like a cat does. I've heard of people who own chihuahuas that do that.

This Potty Patch is not a bad idea. I'd rather have my dog crap in a central location that remotely looks like grass in times when I'm away from home for an unexpectedly long period of time or when the weather is so bad outside that taking the dog out is just not feasible.

As for potty-training a dog, I think this thing is perfect. It looks like grass, which teaches the dog that it needs to do its business on grass. So when you finally do start taking the dog outside, it will recognize the grass as something it can crap on.

swoll1980
July 1st, 2009, 08:09 PM
As for potty-training a dog, I think this thing is perfect. It looks like grass, which teaches the dog that it needs to do its business on grass.

I don't think dogs make connections like that with their eyes. I believe the dog uses his nose to determine if "this is grass" or not. If that's the case it wouldn't be much good.

Grant A.
July 1st, 2009, 08:15 PM
I don't think dogs make connections like that with their eyes. I believe the dog uses his nose to determine if "this is grass" or not. If that's the case it wouldn't be much good.

Are you sure about that? My dogs think carpet is indoor grass. :(

swoll1980
July 1st, 2009, 08:19 PM
Are you sure about that? My dogs think carpet is indoor grass. :(

I'm 99% sure. From what I know about dogs, they have really poor vision. They can only see contrast, and movement. They can't see colors, and textures like we do. They use their nose like we use our eyes.

aesis05401
July 3rd, 2009, 06:37 PM
I'm 99% sure. From what I know about dogs, they have really poor vision. They can only see contrast, and movement. They can't see colors, and textures like we do. They use their nose like we use our eyes.

Their smell is a lot stronger than their vision, but when dealing with humans they are comfortable with, many breeds give preference to facial clues over smell.

I own a husky/akita mix that had a behavioral problem. I was told by a vet that I was not using my face properly when issuing commands. After a little practice of making sure my pet could see my face when I was issuing commands, and remembering to arch my eyebrows when I really wanted his attention all the problems went away - so I am a believer that sight is more important than smell as long as the pup is in a familiar situation.

I know that my pup is applying this to other situations because he was resists the urge to destroy things that look like other things he has gotten into trouble for destroying.

Cats, on the other hand, do not recognize facial expressions at all and I sometimes wonder if they use their brains at all..