PDA

View Full Version : Recent Deaths and Disasters...

MikeTheC
June 30th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Is it just me, or are any of the rest of you getting a bit tired and distressed over all the deaths and disasters we've been having lately?

I mean, I just went to CNN.com to check up on the parking garage floor collapse that happened today in Atlanta -- oh, and speaking of which, since there doesn't seem to be a proper thread here on UF about this, was anyone here affected or know anyone who was affected by that? -- and what do my eyes encounter but the story of a Yemeni airliner crash, killing presumably some 150 souls.

To tell the truth, I'm really getting worn out over this. I'm not writing this to be sarcastic, and I'm not in any way making light of these tragedies. Every single one of them I find to be unfortunate and distressful to one extent or another. But I mean, really...

In little more than a month we have over what, 400 deaths? Air France, Yemen, the recent celebrities, Atlanta even, perhaps? (I don't know, but I hope not.)

Somebody, please tell me there's some end to this, or at least that there's some good news out there to counter all of this mass death that's going on. It's utterly depressing!

</rant>

nmccrina
June 30th, 2009, 03:49 AM
I'm going to file a bug report.

philcamlin
June 30th, 2009, 03:50 AM
i know like billy mays dies from luggage hit on his head from a plane incodent like what are the odds.

ahh i hope this stops soon :) i lie the idea ofstaying home :P:popcorn:

Sealbhach
June 30th, 2009, 03:51 AM
It's gonna get worse, all the way up to 2012. ;)

swoll1980
June 30th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Maybe economy related? Not the celebs of course, but maybe the others were caused by financial problems? I say this because here in Cleveland the inner belt bridge is on it's last leg. They actually closed it when there was snow on it, because they were afraid it would collapse under the weight. When the snow melted they reopened it. I won't ride on it.

swoll1980
June 30th, 2009, 03:56 AM
i know like billy mays dies from luggage hit on his head from a plane incodent like what are the odds.

He had a heart attack. It had nothing to do with the plane.

philcamlin
June 30th, 2009, 03:58 AM

hahahah
my sisters think thats all going to happen but i doubt it

ITS A CRYSTAL !

not a f****** time bomb :P

Slug71
June 30th, 2009, 03:59 AM

This

MikeTheC
June 30th, 2009, 04:04 AM
I'm going to file a bug report.

Finally, a little comedy relief! Yeah, file a bug report... yay!

Gizenshya
June 30th, 2009, 04:07 AM
autopsy said it was actually heart disease, not the bump on the head.

and on average a person dies every few seconds. For every percent more population, an approximately equal percentage of people die per time interval.

seek and ye shall find

you're thinking too much

philcamlin
June 30th, 2009, 04:07 AM
He had a heart attack. It had nothing to do with the plane.

whatt!!!

i was told when the plane blew a tire loggage hit him in the head and people were saying he sad a subdural hemotoma :P

well, any way he died we will all miss him for his HI BILLY MAYS HERE thing and how he could yell and still be cool :D:popcorn:

RIP to all this week

swoll1980
June 30th, 2009, 04:15 AM

I don't believe anyone can predict the future. An acurate prediction of the future would, in all likelihood, change the future. Then it wouldn't be accurate, now would it? For example, I tell someone if you stand there, your going to get hit by a bus. The guy moves, and doesn't get hit by the bus. Now my accurate forecast of the future just fell on it's face. Since the future hasn't happened yet, there are way to many variables to predict it. Even the prediction itself becomes a variable.

Gizenshya
June 30th, 2009, 04:18 AM
whatt!!!

i was told when the plane blew a tire loggage hit him in the head and people were saying he sad a subdural hemotoma :P

well, any way he died we will all miss him for his HI BILLY MAYS HERE thing and how he could yell and still be cool :D:popcorn:

RIP to all this week

thats what everyone thought yesterday.m but the autopsy came in, and such was not the case

MikeTheC
June 30th, 2009, 04:21 AM
I don't believe anyone can predict the future. An acurate prediction of the future would, in all likelihood, change the future. Then it wouldn't be accurate, now would it? For example, I tell someone if you stand there, your going to get hit by a bus. The guy moves, and doesn't get hit by the bus. Now my accurate forecast of the future just fell on it's face. Since the future hasn't happened yet, there are way to many variables to predict it. Even the prediction itself becomes a variable.

+1 to this. That's a very, very sensible analysis of causality.

There's also the "classic paradox".

A person goes back in time and meets his own grandfather, but before he had kids. The two get into an argument, and he kills his grandfather.

Now the grandfather never has kids, and so his grandson can never be born. But if he's never been born, how can he have gone back in time to kill his own grandfather?

swoll1980
June 30th, 2009, 04:23 AM
The weird thing about Jackson, and Mays was the fact that they were both still young (51), and both were in good shape.

MikeTheC
June 30th, 2009, 04:24 AM
whatt!!!

RIP to all this week

Heck, I was out the day Jackson died, and even after confirmation on the radio news that MJ had died, I still had people telling me that he'd been resuscitated and was living. I had no idea how idiotic people could be.

No, strike that. It simply shocked me that they were that idiotic.

swoll1980
June 30th, 2009, 04:26 AM
+1 to this. That's a very, very sensible analysis of causality.

There's also the "classic paradox".

A person goes back in time and meets his own grandfather, but before he had kids. The two get into an argument, and he kills his grandfather.

Now the grandfather never has kids, and so his grandson can never be born. But if he's never been born, how can he have gone back in time to kill his own grandfather?

I thought of that when I watched Back II the Future. How could he have gone back, and screwed up his parents relationship if he was never born?

subdivision
June 30th, 2009, 04:33 AM
The weird thing about Jackson, and Mays was the fact that they were both still young (51), and both were in good shape.

I don't know about Billy Mays, but Michael Jackson was NOT in good health (doped up all the time, severely underweight, etc.)

swoll1980
June 30th, 2009, 04:41 AM
I don't know about Billy Mays, but Michael Jackson was NOT in good health (doped up all the time, severely underweight, etc.)

Well I think anyone that has a heart attack at 50 wasn't in good health. Buy good shape I meant they didn't smoke, they were not over weight, and they were active.

swoll1980
June 30th, 2009, 04:47 AM
oops

arcdrag
June 30th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Well I think anyone that has a heart attack at 50 wasn't in good health. Buy good shape I meant they didn't smoke, they were not over weight, and they were active.

An addiction to prescription drugs is 1000x worse than Pall malls and Twinkies.

pbpersson
June 30th, 2009, 05:29 AM
on average a person dies every few seconds.

That makes me so glad I have never been an average person :lolflag:

Fatal Toenail Infection
June 30th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Unfortunately, deaths and disasters such as this happen all the time. It's just a matter of whether they get media coverage or not.

Tristam Green
June 30th, 2009, 02:14 PM
To the OP:

It's coming.

Slug71
June 30th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Now theres been a Train crash in Italy too. :(

Swagman
June 30th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Disasters have always happened.

We have more ways of hearing that news now though than ever before.

global village

ice60
June 30th, 2009, 05:02 PM
i think it's fantastic. if wacko jacko hadn't died i wouldn't have remembered how funny the radio presenter was when he was late for his **** trail. that's kept me entertained for the last few days lol.

jacko was late for the hearing and the judge was going crazy, the radio presenter said there were lots of Ponch types hunting around the bushes looking for him lol. then when he turned up he was wearing his pyjamas :D

there's no doubt jacko was a great entertainer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0C9l1F-USk
loooooooooooool

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,1036853,00.html

sydbat
June 30th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Unfortunately, deaths and disasters such as this happen all the time. It's just a matter of whether they get media coverage or not.

Disasters have always happened.

We have more ways of hearing that news now though than ever before.

global villageThese 2 posts sum it all up perfectly.

Hated On Mostly
June 30th, 2009, 08:10 PM
An addiction to prescription drugs is 1000x worse than Pall malls and Twinkies.

Obesity related illnesses and disease kill a lot more people in the US than drug use does. Same with tobacco related illnesses. There is just more stigma to drug use. Drug abuse and addiction is a lot more common in society than most people think...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_causes_of_death_by_rate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_preventable_causes_of_death#Leading_causes _in_the_United_States

MikeTheC
June 30th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Now theres been a Train crash in Italy too. :(

Yesterday there was a local thing... a garbage truck turned over and fell on a car of some kind, on the driver's side, crushing and killing the driver. From what I gather it was horrific. I can only imagine the guy who stopped and ran over to help who was the first to *see* what was left of the driver will have nightmares and such for the rest of his life.

While my heart goes out to the family of this woman who was killed, I have to give a LOT of credit to first responders, and emergency workers, etc. I can't imagine doing the work they do.

v8YKxgHe
June 30th, 2009, 09:09 PM
removed