PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] An easy way to move apps from 1 display, to another?

swoll1980
June 30th, 2009, 02:54 AM
I have a 2 head set up. It would be real nice if I could double click a window's title bar to send it to the other display. Is there a easy way to do this. If this is not possible, is there another easy way to send windows from one display to another.

swoll1980
June 30th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Bump

swoll1980
July 1st, 2009, 05:52 PM
Bump

doas777
July 1st, 2009, 05:54 PM
well, what you need is Twinview for nvidia cards. not sure about ati.

you can enable twinview in nvidia-settings, but be sure to reboot afterward, as you will not get the functionality you want until then. you may also want to set both monitors to the same res before hand as it smooths the transition.

ronaldprettyman
July 1st, 2009, 05:58 PM
CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+left or right arrow key

swoll1980
July 1st, 2009, 05:58 PM
well, what you need is Twinview for nvidia cards. not sure about ati.

you can enable twinview in nvidia-settings, but be sure to reboot afterward, as you will not get the functionality you want until then. you may also want to set both monitors to the same res before hand as it smooths the transition.

I have twin view on. I'm wondering if there a way to switch a window from one display to the other w/o having to grab it, and drag it over to the other one.

swoll1980
July 1st, 2009, 06:00 PM
CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+left or right arrow key

I will have to try that later. I had to use Visio, so I'm not logged into Ubuntu. thanks.

ronaldprettyman
July 1st, 2009, 06:07 PM
I will have to try that later. I had to use Visio, so I'm not logged into Ubuntu. thanks.

if your displays are setup so one desktop is on one display and anothe ron the other this will work, ctrl+alt+shift+arrow key move the open window between desktops, if your streching the screen across both monitor instead of having them act as seperate desktops then your want to write a script that moves a window 50%x or -50%x based on its location. Not sure how to do this, but 99% its not too hard. The compiz or gnome guys would know better