PDA

View Full Version : The evangelist syndrome

JDShu
June 30th, 2009, 02:03 AM
When I got into Linux back in high school (2003), I thought it was a pretty cool idea but I recognized that it was near impossible for somebody new to computers to switch to Linux because it was not very developed for the desktop. Now, with the latest editions of ubuntu and I hear fedora and others as well, it looks like there should be nothing stopping everybody from switching over.

Hence I often feel compelled to convert people to Linux operating systems because I feel like I have to make something so good (and free as in beer) known to everybody.

Yet I know how annoying that can be to others who don't have the time/patience to learn something new or even listen to what I have to say, so I often have to refrain myself.

My question is, do you guys feel this way as well? If you do, how do you deal with it?

Gizenshya
June 30th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Read this...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=865750

swoll1980
June 30th, 2009, 02:08 AM
I could really care less what people use. I do try to get my family on board though, because I was involuntarily declared the family IT guy, and Linux is easier for me to deal with.

Tibuda
June 30th, 2009, 03:12 AM
it looks like there should be nothing stopping everybody from switching over.
There are many things stopping people to switch. Some likes to play some games that won't run on Linux, some depends on some software to work (AutoCAD), some have hardware incompatible with Linux (blacklisted printers, iPhone, etc), and some are afraid of the new.

monsterstack
June 30th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I could really care less what people use.

How much less?

But srsly, when I first got into Linux, I got into it in a big way, and yes, it was all I spoke about for at least a week, boring my friends and relatives endlessly. But that all went away over time as I became more used to using Linux. Eventually, I didn't even notice it any more; it became invisible. I was using my computer to do stuff.

The people whom I have helped switch operating systems have mostly been people who really needed to switch because they were clueless Windows users fraught with viruses and spyware and all sorts of problems. For them, Linux made sense. The only person I have known to switch over because philosophical reasons was my uncle, who was fascinated by the concept of "I am who I am because of who we all are."

Evangelism only gets you so far. If you want people to switch, it's best to actually help them. Don't bullsh*t people and tell them that their proprietary mobile phone will work guaranteed, or that they can play all of their Windows games. Just let them know it is an option, a viable option, and they will become interested. That's when you help them out, because laziness is still a big factor when people make decisions like this.

Elep.Repu
June 30th, 2009, 05:05 AM
It took me about a year to get over the hype.
And no, there are many reasons why a person wouldn't use linux, lol.

Once I realized that, and that not everyone likes having to learn about how to do everything, and some people play games. (Many games don'twork on linux Even in wine.)

Then I became fine, not talking about it.
I'm, myself excited if a new extfs comes out- but most people aren't-so I got over it.
Microsoft does its job when it comes to babysitting new users.

handy
June 30th, 2009, 05:14 AM
It's just an operating system.

Life is far more interesting.

JDShu
June 30th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Gizenshya, thanks for the thread, it was a great read!

There are many things stopping people to switch. Some likes to play some games that won't run on Linux, some depends on some software to work (AutoCAD), some have hardware incompatible with Linux (blacklisted printers, iPhone, etc), and some are afraid of the new.

Well, yes of course there are reasons (though I'd argue about AutoCAD since I believe there are many people who actually have to use Linux for that... then again I'm not an engineer) Anyway, I was probably exaggerating. Still many people I know don't have these reasons to not try and I suspect the issue is rather that they don't need to switch. Which I realize is fair enough.

It's just an operating system.

Life is far more interesting.

Aha, now you know my problem :cry:

The consensus it seems then, is to give it time and the feeling will pass hehe.

Grant A.
June 30th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I've been known to go door to door handing out the Ubuntu Linux Bible and Ubuntu CDs. [-o<

:lol:

xouns
June 30th, 2009, 08:32 AM
When I first switched to Linux (via OpenSuse and Ubuntu 8.04) I also preached the word to everybody who I thought would like to know. I've installed it on 4 home computers (1 my own, my dad's, my brothers and a computer that will never be connected to the internet again). One year later, I am the only one that uses Ubuntu, I only use Linux on my brothers machine when he has problems (yesterday AGAIN he had 17 virusses downloaded in 1 friggin hour. Who's gonna clean it up...?!?). Not to speak of the internet-les computer, that will be hell to maintain and install program's.

Moreover, using Ubuntu has found me many irritating functions that I do not want (again, why disable ctrl-alt-backspace? Why isn't there an easy way to manage and reformat partitions?). Also, WXP just works when installed. Hardware-switching is so much easier and safe under XP or 7.

So my conclusion now is, I use Linux, windows XP and 7, and allow people to talk to me. I use Linux in front of other people (it's the OS of choice for my girlfriend, when she uses my machine, and is gonna let me install it next to OSX 10.5 on her powerbook) and if people have questions, you help. Period. The bible is in the closet, and I only take it out when someone askes me my faith.

itreius
June 30th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I've snapped out of the evangelism period once I realised that Linux sucks...

as does Windows....

and OSX...

and any other OS. :p

xouns
June 30th, 2009, 08:50 AM
True dat.