PDA

View Full Version : Dell or ASUS for a Netbook, and N280 vs Z530 CPUs

ProbablyX
June 30th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Hi!

I have found two Netbooks which are competing for my money and even though they cost the same, their properties are different. So I was wondering if I could get some advice on which has the better hardware.
Their weights are pretty much the same too (1.1kg - 1.2kg)

First is an ASUS:
10.1" display 1024x600
Intel Atom N280 1.66Ghz
Intel GMA950 graphics cip
WLAN b/g/n
1GB RAM
160GB hdd
6 cell battery [non-replaceable]

Second is a Dell:
10.1" High Definition Display 1366x768
Intel Atom Z530 1.6Ghz
Intel GMA500 graphics chip
WLAN b/g
1GB RAM
160GB hdd
3 cell battery

So the Dell has a better screen at 1366x768, the CPUs are N280 versus a Z530. And the graphics chips are different.
Also the ASUS battery cant be replaced.

Of what I understand the Z CPU is much cooler and doesnt need a fan, making it more quiet. But I read that it was slower in some test =/

Which one would you choose?

Thanks!

tgalati4
June 30th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Asus has dropped linux. I wouldn't support them.

frenchrh
July 7th, 2009, 02:43 AM
I was just at this decision point a week ago. and I also thought the Dell Mini 10 would be better than the ASUS 1005HA, but as I looked into it, serious issues came up with the Dell Mini 10 and Mini 12's that use the Intel Graphics Media Adapter 500 with the Atom Z530, instead of the GMA850 that the ASUS uses with the Atom N280.

Basically the Atom Z530 with the GMA500, the GMA500 is not a "normal" Intel graphics chip, which they have always supported Linux with decent linux drivers for the graphics chip. Instead the GMA500 is a rebranded chip from another vendor, that Intel labels. And this chip doesn't have functional open source or even binary linux drivers available, Dell did hire someone to make a functional driver for Ubuntu 8.04, but its not very good.

And the Dell Mini10 is sealed so that you can't upgrade to 2gb or RAM. This is done under Microsoft's demands that windows XP offerend on netbooks, can't have more than 1Gb of Ram, or they won't allow an XP sale.

Asus has the 1005HA so that you can pop in a new DIMM and get 2Gb of RAM. This is very useful and helpful for linux on the Eee PC, not possible for the Dell.

So that is how I came out, on the side of the Eee PC 1005HA.

everyone of course can make their own choices.

Warpnow
July 7th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I have an Acer Aspire One with 1024x600 resolution and often wish my resolution was higher.

But I bought a 10-cell battery, not being able to do that would annoy me very much. 3 hours of battery life on a netbook seems annoying, when for an extra $60, you can have 10+ hours.

LowSky
July 7th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Lenovo S10-2, that is my suggestion

KegHead
July 7th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Hi!

go with dell.

i've had a lot of success with my mini 9.

KegHead

crgutierrez
July 18th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Do you run netbook remix on your 1005? No problems for the instalation???
Gracias

SunnyRabbiera
July 18th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Go with dell, Asus is a crap company.
I will never buy anything asus from now on.

piousp
July 18th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I bought an Eeepc (900A) last december and I'm pretty happy with it. It does run UNR out-of-the-box. I was happy to support Asus since they supported linux.
I would get the best hardware.

SunnyRabbiera
July 18th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I bought an Eeepc (900A) last december and I'm pretty happy with it. It does run UNR out-of-the-box. I was happy to support Asus since they supported linux.

Not anymore, but meh screw em we dont need em.

gamerchick02
July 18th, 2009, 04:14 PM
i would go the Asus route. My brother has an Asus laptop and he's quite happy with it. Also, it seems that the eeePC is able to be upgraded with more RAM.

The Dell is sealed. That way you can't upgrade anything.

Personally, I have a System7 Starling, and I'm happy with it. *shrug*

Pick what you want, but it sounds like the eeePC is a better deal.

Amy

SunnyRabbiera
July 18th, 2009, 04:16 PM
i would go the Asus route. My brother has an Asus laptop and he's quite happy with it. Also, it seems that the eeePC is able to be upgraded with more RAM.

The Dell is sealed. That way you can't upgrade anything.

Personally, I have a System7 Starling, and I'm happy with it. *shrug*

Pick what you want, but it sounds like the eeePC is a better deal.

Amy

Yes but Asus is a microsoft loving FUD spreading company, at least Dell is aware of the limitations linux has and accepts them.

gamerchick02
July 18th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Most all companies are Microsoft FUD loving companies. I have never seen a laptop/desktop in an actual store that has nay form of Linux on it, with the exception of the Wal-mart machines (and we know what a fiasco that was).

If they're serious about supporting Ubuntu, they'd get a System76. *shrug*

Expandability sometimes is more important. I skimped on the Dell I bought, so I couldn't increase any of the RAM or even add a graphics card (I had onboard graphics). Think about it.

Amy

PmDematagoda
July 18th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Whatever netbook you buy, do not buy one with an Intel GMA 500 VGA because it will be very hard to run Linux on it due to the absence of a proper open source driver and since the proprietary driver you get for it(poulsbo) is just terrible according to it's users.

stmiller
July 18th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Either would be fine. I vote Asus, though that Dell looks cool.

It's easy to replace the hard drive and ram on an Asus. Just open one door on the back. There is a huge community around Asus netbooks ( http://eeeuser.com ) and lots of info out there.

Asus hasn't 'dropped' Linux. They have drivers and info for Linux on the support part of their website. Not that it matters much as pretty much anything Intel based just works these days.

PmDematagoda
July 18th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Either would be fine. I vote Asus, though that Dell looks cool.

It's easy to replace the hard drive and ram on an Asus. Just open one door on the back. There is a huge community around Asus netbooks ( http://eeeuser.com ) and lots of info out there.

Asus hasn't 'dropped' Linux. They have drivers and info for Linux on the support part of their website. Not that it matters much as pretty much anything Intel based just works these days.

The Dell one does look cool, until you hit one major problem, Intel GMA 500, if you buy this, then you are definitely in for a rough time when trying to run Linux on it, and the biggest problem is that Intel probably can't do a thing because the technology in the GMA 500 doesn't actually belong to Intel, but to PowerVR which doesn't seem to want to corporate with the open source community.

snowpine
July 18th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I haven't used either of those two netbooks specifically, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. :)

I have both an Asus eee 900ha and a Dell Mini 9. I much prefer the Dell. The build quality feels better, the keyboard is more comfortable, it is quiet, and the SSD technology is superior to a conventional HDD. Also it came with Ubuntu pre-installed (which I think is cool, even though I wiped the built-in Ubuntu and installed a different distro).

I would definitely recommend the Dell over Asus, except that I have heard bad things about the graphics cards on certain Dell models (so be careful which one you choose).

thomas1911
July 18th, 2009, 08:04 PM
i have had 2 dells and both were good, they have good support too.

linuxguymarshall
July 19th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Lenovo for the netbook. The S10 is the best damn machine out there (Netbook-wise). Going to be a killer when the ION platform is released.