PDA

View Full Version : My new camp had some pleasent supprises.

dragos240
June 29th, 2009, 11:21 PM
So I have been going to a camp called "spotlight" for about 5 years, you can guess what it's about, but a tad different. Anyways, I made a small poll for my group I was in, who had heard of linux, there were 2 kids besides me who had linux on their computers. Amazing! I would of thought that the people at my camp would ask what linux was! Even in a camp focused on kids with asperger syndrome, with less than 100 kids in the entire camp, there are still linux users :). Also the director of the program has also allowed me to bring my netbook to show an informational presentation on linux. And they even have a projector for me, how great is this?

Regards,
Dragoz

Wiebelhaus
June 29th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Grats!

Sealbhach
June 29th, 2009, 11:32 PM
That's wonderful to hear. Hope you have a great time at camp.

Did they happen to buy netbooks with Linux or install it themselves, I wonder?

dragos240
June 29th, 2009, 11:33 PM
That's wonderful to hear. Hope you have a great time at camp.

Did they happen to buy netbooks with Linux or install it themselves, I wonder?

They said they installed it manually. :)

OutOfReach
June 29th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Wow that sounds really nice! You never know who else you might find that uses Linux

Pogeymanz
June 29th, 2009, 11:39 PM
That's good to hear. At least you'll have something to talk about with those guys.

I find that I can small talk with a complete stranger for hours if I find out that they run Linux. And this has happened on several occasions. That's probably just a character flaw with me, though.:lolflag:

dragos240
June 30th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I can't wait to amaze them with compiz and arch.

EDIT: As soon as I get compiz to work on my archbox.

stwschool
June 30th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Actually it's not that great a surprise. Pretty much every aspergers person I've ever met has used linux. Linux attracts those with aspergers and autism for a variety of geeky reasons.

izizzle
June 30th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Your story reminds of when I was walking down a hallway at the Austin Bergstrom International Airport and saw a man checking his emails from Evolution in Ubuntu. It gave me that fuzzy feeling...

Gizenshya
June 30th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Actually it's not that great a surprise. Pretty much every aspergers person I've ever met has used linux.

I've had the same experience (though the rest of your comment probably wasn't the most respectful way to put it). A very good friend of mine has Asperger's, and he seemed interested when I told him about Linux, and now he's hooked :) (probably around these forums as well...). He is the only Asperger I know well, though. Probably not enough to generalize...

I don't think he's even used windows once since he installed Ubuntu :D (sometime during the spring... Intrepid, I think).

I'm glad you are not ashamed to talk about you Asperger's. Lots of people are, and when they actually do, they wonder why they never did. Less discrimination one voice at a time. Though... most (neurotypicals) don't even know what it is, lol

dragos240
June 30th, 2009, 02:14 AM
I don't really see what's so bad about asperger syndrome. All I could find was it was more of a social disorder than autism.... now i'm off to look up my other disorder, bipolar. Cya!

Sealbhach
June 30th, 2009, 02:20 AM
I don't really see what's so bad about asperger syndrome. All I could find was it was more of a social disorder than autism.... now i'm off to look up my other disorder, bipolar. Cya!

I had a friend who had Aspergers, he was a wonderful person and very funny. Bipolar is not such a good one to have, but many gifted people are or have been bipolar.

Pogeymanz
June 30th, 2009, 03:45 AM
One of my best friends has Asperger's Syndrome. He's awesome and I don't think he is limited by it at all.

Elodean
August 17th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Reading this is very interesting to me. I am very aspergers, and I have always loved computers... On a good day I log in 12+ hrs of computer time programming and stuff on Ubuntu, which would pretty loose the interest of anyone else but me (but of course I might not notice they are getting bored! :) )

JillSwift
August 17th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Remember that Autism and Asperger's are continuums. It's possible to "have it a little" through to "have it a lot" (i.e. from "low-impairment/high-functioning to high-impairment/low-functioning).

Us Aspies are often able to learn how to "fake" social interaction (that is, that which is innate in "neuro-typicals" can be learned by high-functioning Autistics), some so well it
s nigh impossible to tell from their day-to-day behavior. Aspieness becomes more noticable when an unexpected or outright new situation come to pass.

I hope this helps make it more clear. :)

dragos240
August 17th, 2009, 03:32 PM
And now that camp is over. And so is this thread. Please close.

sydbat
August 18th, 2009, 12:13 AM
And now that camp is over. And so is this thread. Please close.NO! Tell us how your presentation went. How did camp go? Don't leave us hanging...

dragos240
August 18th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Well.... the camp ended, nothing extraordinary, and the presentation was fine. I'd say people now have a taste of linux :)