PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows 7 & Ubuntu Shared Wallpaper!

dhellstrom
June 29th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Don't really know what section to post this in.

I have 2x160Gb sata drives. Drive A has Windows 7 x64 installed. Drive B has Ubuntu 9.04 x64 installed. Grub installed on Drive A.

Windows 7 default wallpaper is a Siamese Fighting Fish. Ubuntu 9.04 default wallpaper is shades of brown.

My question is this - Why has my fresh install (of both OSes) ended up with both OSes having the same Siamese Fighting Fish wallpaper!!!??? Very weird!! I was sure that kind of information is NOT shared between OSes ('cept thru grub & menu.lst).

Does anyone know why this happened? I'd really like to know.

If this has been asked & answered elsewhere could you point out the link? I DID search the forums first.

Thanx all

howefield
June 29th, 2009, 10:35 PM
When you installed Ubuntu , did you import your settings from Windows ?

This would import your wallpaper into Ubuntu, I believe.

dhellstrom
July 5th, 2009, 10:06 PM
The Installer prompted me to copy certain settings for grub to use. This has never happened with Windows XP. Have just installed Linux Mint too & the same thing has happened. It's gotta be Windows 7...

howefield
July 5th, 2009, 10:12 PM
The Installer prompted me to copy certain settings for grub to use. This has never happened with Windows XP. Have just installed Linux Mint too & the same thing has happened. It's gotta be Windows 7...

If the installer detects a windows install (including xp) already on the computer you would be prompted to import Documents and Settings from it to be available to your Ubuntu install, you have to deliberately check the box for this option to happen, so you would most likely be aware if you had taken this option.

I have Windows 7 RC installed and without checking that import option during Ubuntu installation, could not replicate your issue.