PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Installed Xubuntu - where's the network?

pointym5
June 29th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I just installed Xubuntu (Jaunty) on an Asus 1008HA netbook. I've also installed the backports .deb in order to get the wireless to work.

In Gnome, the network manager applet is there by default. I can't find it anywhere however in my Xubuntu installation.

Note that without the network, it'll be hard to install additional packages needed to get the network started :-)

scrooge_74
June 29th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Did you installed xfce4-goodies I think the wireless gadget is in there. You have to add it to the panel for it to show up.

Open a terminal and type nm-applet

Some general info here (http://wiki.xfce.org/)

pointym5
June 30th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Well I'm re-installing plain Ubuntu now. My experience has been that neither nm-applet nor wicd work consistently or reliably enough to be at all useful, though they work OK (wicd being somewhat brain-damaged but nevertheless usable) in my other Ubuntu installations.

Remember, also, that I installed Xubuntu from the Xubuntu alternative media - I didn't have the choice of installing any additional packages until the network is up.

pointym5
June 30th, 2009, 04:44 AM
I think I much prefer the result of installing Ubuntu and then installing XFCE on top of that. Things mostly just worked in that approach, without any inexplicable belligerence from the network manager tools.

scrooge_74
June 30th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Yep that approach works, Xfce then uses some of Gnome apps and interacts with them.