PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing update for ubuntu 8.04?

Vexe
June 29th, 2009, 09:30 PM
so im kinda new but been playing around with ubuntu!
iv upgraded to 9.10 but reverted to 8.04 because all of
my setting were working like desktop effects and what not,
but now when i try to check for updates it tells me this and wondering
if someone can help me with this problem===>>

Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080423)]/dists/hardy/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080423)]/dists/hardy/restricted/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

release 8.04(hardy
kernel linux 2.6.24-24-generic
gnome 2.22.3

this says something about adding cd-rom but it works fine just kinda stumped! the only reason i care is because i wake up eveymorning and says to update but err! thanks again_cheers
(\ /)
(o.0)
(> <)

raymondh
July 1st, 2009, 12:29 AM
so im kinda new but been playing around with ubuntu!
iv upgraded to 9.10 but reverted to 8.04 because all of
my setting were working like desktop effects and what not,
but now when i try to check for updates it tells me this and wondering
if someone can help me with this problem===>>

Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080423)]/dists/hardy/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080423)]/dists/hardy/restricted/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

release 8.04(hardy
kernel linux 2.6.24-24-generic
gnome 2.22.3

this says something about adding cd-rom but it works fine just kinda stumped! the only reason i care is because i wake up eveymorning and says to update but err! thanks again_cheers
(\ /)
(o.0)
(> <)

Hello Vexe,

If you go to your software sources (system > admin) and un-tick the CD ROM box .. you should be OK.

to check after,

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

If you wish to upgrade to the new kernel ...

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Happy Ubuntu-ing.