PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New system build

jrandolph
June 29th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Im not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes.
I am building a new box and it will have 8GB ram.
Do I need to install 64bit Ubuntu for it to recognize that amount of memory?

Thanks in advance

Jacob

Zzl1xndd
June 29th, 2009, 07:52 PM
If you want to address that much ram then you will require a 64-bit Operating system.

LowSky
June 29th, 2009, 07:57 PM
If you want to address that much ram then you will require a 64-bit Operating system.

Technically you are wrong. You can use a 32bit verison of Ubuntu, but you will need to enagle the PAE kernel to use the rest of you memory, using theis kernel patch will lower you performance a tiny bit.

64Bit is the best way to go, but 8GB is really a waste. I have 4 GB and I dont think it ever uses more than 1 gig playing HD video and internet pages and such.

Zzl1xndd
June 29th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Technically you are wrong. You can use a 32bit verison of Ubuntu, but you will need to enagle the PAE kernel to use the rest of you memory, using theis kernel patch will lower you performance a tiny bit.

Thanks for the info.

jrandolph
June 29th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I understand that 8GB is quite a waste but I got a deal that I could not pass on so its all or none for bout $60 brand new
I could put it into other boxes I have but for what reason you know.
I think the new box is going to dual boot with Vista (not my choice btw) and I know for a fact that I have to have 64bit Vista to recognize the ram

LowSky
June 29th, 2009, 08:06 PM
pick up a RC copy of Windows 7 dont waste your time with Vista

jrandolph
June 29th, 2009, 08:10 PM
RC copy?
I was just going to get Vista because I can get a free upgrade to 7

mikechant
June 30th, 2009, 03:49 PM
With all that RAM sitting idle, I'm sure you could benefit from installing the 'preload' utility which loads frequently used programs before they are needed. Have a look at this:
http://www.techthrob.com/2009/03/02/drastically-speed-up-your-linux-system-with-preload/

You'll probably want to change the config file as described to get it to pre-load as much as possible.

As you can see from the performance tables, large applications like firefox and openoffice can load twice as fast.

LowSky
June 30th, 2009, 04:02 PM
RC copy?
I was just going to get Vista because I can get a free upgrade to 7

windows "upgrades" never work really well. Better off using the RC and Buying 7 when it comes out.

Paqman
June 30th, 2009, 04:27 PM
With all that RAM sitting idle, I'm sure you could benefit from installing the 'preload' utility which loads frequently used programs before they are needed. Have a look at this:
http://www.techthrob.com/2009/03/02/drastically-speed-up-your-linux-system-with-preload/

You'll probably want to change the config file as described to get it to pre-load as much as possible.

As you can see from the performance tables, large applications like firefox and openoffice can load twice as fast.

I'd also start loading as much other stuff into RAM as possible, like /tmp and browser cache.