PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] vpn, vpnc - accessing your server from a different location with a static IP

007casper
June 29th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I would like to access my server from a different location with a given IP. I was looking into vpn, vpnc, kvm etc... people seem to have problems with it.

What is the best solution to virtually access your server from a different computer with a specific IP?

Thanks

Celauran
June 29th, 2009, 07:49 PM
What is the best solution to virtually access your server from a different computer with a specific IP?

Depends what you're looking to do. SSH works fine for me.

007casper
June 29th, 2009, 09:04 PM
sure, ssh is fine.... sometimes I need to have a visual representation of things... a visual desktop with all the gui as much as possible.

any ideas / preferences that works like a charm

Zzl1xndd
June 29th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I use VNC myself, mostly because it work on everything and I have a mixed network.

007casper
June 30th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I already have some vpn connections utility. When I click on Configure VPN... I get gui with VPN tab. I cant add, edit, delete, import, or export.

I dont know what the problem is, and dont know what the missing element is. I checked under synaptic manager. I got vinagre, vino, and tsclient checked. Is there way to figure out what is going on here?

I dont have vnc4server selected. I guess thats what you are talking about right...

thanks